FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Shipwreck beat me over the head on some other forums and forced me to join. Plus I was pestering him sending him emails with questions about some guns I'm thinking of getting.

I just picked up a Sig 229 SCT (very sweet gun by the way) and now I'm wanting a polymer gun. I plan on leaving the Sig with the wife for HD, but will leave the polymer for her if she likes it better.

My List of options: Walther P99, FNP, Px4, HK

Leaning towards: P99 and FNP

Question:
Has anybody had issues with the slide not locking back on an empty magazine?

While fiddling with one at Bass Pro, when racking the slide it didn't feel like the slide lock was engaging firmly. There were a couple of times that it didn't lock. When it did lock back, it just didn't feel as solid of a lock as my Sig or 1911.

Also, the slide release seems a little dinky, have there been any issues with any of the controls?

I really like the gun otherwise, just wanted to check in and see what some thoughts are. I've checked in the FNP Issues forum and read up on problems.

I like the exposed hammer and decocking feature of the FNP over the Walther but the Walther sure feels good in the hands also.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The slide lock seems to work just fine on my new FNP-9, at least it has on the first 19 or so mags (300 rounds)

Nary a hiccup of any kind so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spyvie,
I'm sure it is not an issue or I would've seen complaints on forums about it by now. I'm positive with the speed and force that the round is pushing the slide back will make this a none issue.

It just didn't seemed like it was locking really solidly when doing it by hand.

I'm leaning towards the FNP because they are a good deal IMO and because of the decocker and exposed hammer. I like those features, which the P99 doesn't have. I might just by both and be done with it :p

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, as I mentioned to you on the other site (when I directed you here), I do not personally have a FNP. But, I've seen a lot of comments about the gun being mentioned - and this is not one I remember hearing about...

·
Registered
41 Posts
never had any problems with my FNP9.

By the way, I've heard about some build quality issues with the newer P99s. My buddy just got rid of one and got a Beretta Cheetah. He likes it much better.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
gamotwo said:
never had any problems with my FNP9.

By the way, I've heard about some build quality issues with the newer P99s. My buddy just got rid of one and got a Beretta Cheetah. He likes it much better.
I'm the super P99 fanatic. No P99 problems that I have heard of, and I'm everywhere the word "P99" gets mentioned online.

Only neg things I have seen were early 40 cal mag problems. About it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts