FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to keep myself busy enough to wait until noon tomorrow to pick up a new Ruger SR 1911 Lightweight Commander. I will always be a 1911 fan. I have always admired Colt's LWC. Fortunately I feel a whole lot better about the Ruger. More modern metrology with the aluminum, modern techniques. They even solved the feed ramp wear issue with a titanium insert in the frame. As much as I like the Kimber, I'm in a series 70 gun again :) they use a extra power spring and titanium FP for the almighty drop test gig. Cant wait to get it and get it to the range for a work out.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I will circle back with it.
First off, really like the Ruger, got a dozen wheel guns that I shot steel in comp., loaded them so hot for a 200m ram that the cyl. would not rotate due to primer push, would have fraged a DW or many others, but as far as anything for a Kimber 1911, I really don't think their in the same ball park, my best bud got the Rurger 1911 and I have 1/2 a dozen Kimbers, from SIS to Gold Match Coustom and ain't no comp. in the semi world. Might be a good pick but still just a production copy. But this is just my preference, you let me know what you think ! :?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.... I'm interested, love to see what others spend money on !
Ruger has done some serious " growing " over the last few years.... ( JIMO & observation )

Reactions: First Sergeant

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, really like the Ruger, got a dozen wheel guns that I shot steel in comp., loaded them so hot for a 200m ram that the cyl. would not rotate due to primer push, would have fraged a DW or many others, but as far as anything for a Kimber 1911, I really don't think their in the same ball park, my best bud got the Rurger 1911 and I have 1/2 a dozen Kimbers, from SIS to Gold Match Coustom and ain't no comp. in the semi world. Might be a good pick but still just a production copy. But this is just my preference, you let me know what you think ! :?
Agreed. I like the Kimber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got 'er picked up today. Got it home and field stripped and cleaned and lubed it. Feels really good in the hand. I need to get a different shell for the IWB to fit it better, however initially with the 5" slide gear, it felt pretty good even loaded with a mag of 230 grain. The slide off shot shows the titanium feed ramp. I may be able to get out to shoot it a bit tomorrow possibly. This is a nice piece of equipment & was fairly priced for the features and benefit in my own opinion. Thanks for looking and have a great day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Very nice, congrats. I've looked at those myself. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.

Reactions: First Sergeant

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Shot the LWC today. Pretty cold, but necessary to throw in the performance test. Truck thermometer read 14 Deg F. Slight breeze. I shot with my flight gloves on and off. The 1911 isn't renowned for a generous trigger guard, the thinner the gloves the better when wearing them. My LCR which I shot a little bit today had more room for gloves.

I started off with the two mags that came with the pistol loaded with 230 grain JHP. All loads today were reloaded on the Dillon 550B, mixed head stamp brass. A few of the non wadcutter holes to the left were the JHP. First few shots had the new gun jitters & it was cold. I ran a total of 150 rounds. The remaining were 200 grain LSWC I load them a little above the minimum in from the book and they have shot well in every 1911 I have tried them in. Distance was 12 yards on a standard B27.

I wasn't target shooting per se. My main goal was to check the regulation of the sights, check mags and start getting a few hundred rounds down range. I cheated and sat in the truck to reload mags. Did I mention it was cold? Mag changes were easy, the mag release is extended a little bit which put it right there. I had one failure to lock the slide back on an empty mag (one of my older ones) Going forward, this mag nor any of the others gave me any issues.

The slide release was positive but not hard to actuate. I don't slingshot as a rule due to being an M9 owner. That hinky safety decocker can get you in a little trouble on a slingshot if your not careful. You might pull up with a mushy trigger. Had it happen, luckily only on the one way range.

The wood grips are very thin & I hope robust. The feel was a little different in this regard, but not a bad different. The Novak sights are nice. Basically held dead on the front site dot, not much unlike my FNP. There is a little light on each side of the front sight, I like it. The trigger has a little creep, hey, it's a Ruger. I'm not real concerned as they usually get better on a stock 1911 in about 500-1000 rounds. Otherwise it broke clean. Recoil was not bad, for a LWC. The 230 grain JHP let you know they were there and took just a fraction of a second to get the front sight back down on the target. The 200 grain SWC really didn't feel much different than a steel frame gun.

The pistol cleaned up nicely after the shoot. No goofy wear on the anodizing on the frame. I did need to use a soft tooth brush on the frame rail ahead of the feed ramp to remove some bullet lube. The anodizing hung onto it pretty well. I think Ruger does pretty well on their AL frames. I had a P90 that I put more rounds through than I can remember and it held up very well. Filed strip is typical 1911, with the exception of cleaning the FP tunnel is a heck of a lot easier on a series 70 gun as you don't need 3 hands. The shorter bushing feel odd in my hand.

I was pleased not to see the Ruger lawyer scroll on the pistol. Well, it's there. It is laser engraved lightly, then anodized over on the dust cover. At least you cant see it from across the room.

As a side note. I shot some powder coated projectiles through the LCR today. I have been playing with them a bit. They shoot well and the clean up is a lot easier than lubed lead. I think I may try some in the .45 and 9mm.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Ruger. If the 50's technology (Colt) would run 20-30K with most documented damage being the AL feed ramp and an occasional slide release pin hole, I think all will be good, especially with the Titanium feed ramp. I haven't decided if I will use a buffer at the range. Not a big fan of them as I don't like one in the carry gun. MSRP was $899, street price was $689 It may be a bit more elsewhere, my LGS likes to deal in volume. I think he enjoys the company in the store.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts