FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had an ed brown 45 with us today Impressive. But nobody could hit s*** with my 5and7 do I have bad gun???
Dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
It may be the difference in the trigger pull. If you are used to a SA style trigger pull, the pull on the Five-Seven might throw you off.

Just a thought.

FM

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Are you using SS95 or SS917?
SS197 shoots lower in the Fiveseven.
Also, is your gun new or used? If used, someone may have adjusted the rear sight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
useing ss197 New gun less than 100 rounds. shot from rest. and standing. could not put two shots close We adjusted sights. Same shooter with 45 ripped out black at 25 yds. Any others have accuract results??
Dan

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
On your statement about the Ed Browns 45 ability to shoot out the black at 25 yards all I can say is Ed makes a damn good 45.

I'll offer a guess on the Five Seven, You said you put 100 rounds through it. Did you clean the gun before you used it?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Sometimes it takes practice. I shoot my Five Seven about as well as any other gun I have - however, I still shoot my P99 better.

·
Registered
980 Posts
So what size were your groups? Were they stringing or totally random?
My very first impression of this pistol was similar to yours and I was quite disappointed, thinking the 5.7 would be awesome for trick shots like nailing a 12g hull @ 30 yards.
I doubt you have a bad gun. If you were to put the USG in a vise you would probably find it to be quite accurate. The hard truth is that the USG is not very accurate in most peoples hands. The light weight and lack of mass at the business end of the USG makes it a very sensitive to the shooter's pulse and movements.
I know you were shooting it from a rest, but even that doesn't dampen your pulse much. I've found that mounting a heavy tac light on the USG makes it handle better. I can't get real good groups from the USG without that weight, and resting it in a particular way.
It's not a good pistol for target shooting.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I changed my sights to hit at 7 yards. I have sandbagged my gun, and it does hit the bullseye when resting the magazine butt on the bags. But yes, in freestanding mode - for whatever reason, it is hard to get into the groove. Although, one ONE particular trip - I got into the zone with the gun. I don't know how - but I just "got" the trigger and shot well with it after mag. I've tried it again, and haven't "gotten there" again....

I can justify the ammo costs thru my PS90 - a rifle. But if just SEEMS more expensive when shooting the ammo thru a pistol. So, I only have about 450 rounds thru mine total.

My USPc had me shooting low until I hit 800-1000 rounds - and i took the gun on every trip.

I know that I I practiced all the time with the pistol, I might do better with it. I just can't afford to.

Still, for home defense purposes - I shoot the gun well enough. So, I am notw orried.

As I have explained before - I've also kinda given up on finding another gun I shoot as well as my P99. I stumbled upon that gun by accident in 2005, and both both fullsize and compact models soon after. That is THE gun for me. And, all the rest of my handguns - I just try for reasonable accuracy and 100% reliability. Not being able to shoot any of my guns as well as my P99 A/S doesn't bother me anymore. I just accept it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Still, for home defense purposes - I shoot the gun well enough. So, I am not worried.
Yeah. Same here. I came down on the pistol pretty hard, you wouldn't have guessed from my last post that it's my daily carry.

And I've had similar good days with the five seven. It's a funny piece, the way it gives you an occasional hint of it's potential accuracy. I bet there are people out there who can get consistently excellent groups with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Were the shots in the black? group size relative to the .45?

One of the things I noticed about shooting a .44 next to the 57 is the 57 groups appear larger since it is cutting less paper. You don't really cut out the black as easily. Then I noticed the actual group size was about the same.

That said, my initial groups with the 57 were larger, but came in.

T

·
Registered
414 Posts
Esteves said:
Some of the FsN's positive attributes have trade-offs. The light weight, for one, and different ergonomics can take some time to adjust to.

More (focussed) practice with the FsN typically helps.
I agree. Took me a few range sessions to get used to the ultra light weight and getting the proper trigger and breathing control to properly shoot groups with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got 8 hits out of 20 on a 6 inch target at 208 yards with my 5.7 pistol. Either you got a bad barrel or.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Random group all over. Yes I want a scope as soon as mount comes available. Any news on mount yet?
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all :p new to this forum. mine was shooting low and found out it the rear site was adjusted for 50 yrds. readjusted and now shoots fine :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts