FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would SIG put Torx head grips srews on my P229?

It looks like rainy weather all day so it's a good morning to change out some springs and pins and grips and do a little oiling on this gun and that... I have one eye on fox news and the other on my tasks...

I recently bought a nice set of P229 Elite wood grips and sat down to put them on. My eyes aren't what they used to be but I hate wearing glasses. So I'm sitting for 10 minutes trying metric allen wrenches... standard allen wrenches... back to metric... argh!

I put on the glasses and... crap. Torx!

Am I the only person who doesn't have a Torx set in his gun tool kit? For Cripes sake! Heck, my tool box says SIG Armorers Kit on the outside! There are no Torx in here!

Grumble grumble... :-?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I have 1 in a multi-took setup - but I may have used it 1x in over 10 years. Sorry dude!

U can drive here and pick it up, though :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, great idea. I forgot I had one of those. (One of those Christmas presents you stick in a drawer and forget) These Elite grips look great but they are fatter than the factory plastic grips. The P229 is kinda fat in my hand to start with so I may just keep these on for pics and put the plastic ones on for range fun. I left my camera at work or I'd take some pics. It's a rather unique gun. SIG likes to mix and match parts sometimes and sell them.

Mine has a non-railed black frame like this SAS...

A Black/Shaved Slide like this Equinox...

And now it has a set of Elite grips like these...

She looks purty good!

·
Registered
225 Posts
i have a sig p220 that i had to put stainless steel grip screws in because the originals statred to rust and i couldnt clean them up. i got a question for you "Tex", have you ever checked out one of those recoil reducing guide rods from Dragonfire in any of your sigs? i tried one and after installing it, i couldnt get the pistol to function reliably...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a "recoil reducing" rod. I have a stainless rod in the P226 Equinox. I got it from a guy over on the SigForum who machines them in his garage. It works just like the factory plastic one, I have not noticed any reduced muzzle flip or anything. I bought it mainly to get that original plastic one out of there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
its supposed to reduce recoil thus making it more accurate. blah blah blah, mine just chopped every 4th round so i sent it back.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if it reduced the recoil of every forth round to zero, then it reduced the overall recoil of all four rounds by 25%! :-D

Did you try +P ammo with it? Maybe it needs a stronger round until the spring loosens up a bit?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if it reduced the recoil of every forth round to zero, then it reduced the overall recoil of all four rounds by 25%! :-D

Did you try +P ammo with it? Maybe it needs a stronger round until the spring loosens up a bit?

·
Registered
225 Posts
nah i just sent it back, i never thought about +p though, i called the guy and asked if there was some break in period and he said no, i was shooting the pistol atleast 3 time a week anyway so it should have been broken in by that time so whatever i just wanted to know if anybody else ever tried it before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts