FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will wait for the S.E.A.L.
Is there a significant difference between the SEAL and the HANDL? different material? a design change? The Handl seems to have been out for a year or more, So I assume there is an improvement in the yet to be released SEAL.

Not that I am willing to spend a dime on either one (but would take a SEAL free too ;) ) but I am curious about the differences in what I would presume is a straight forward project.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've been wanting an aluminum lower, but I'm stumped on if I should. First of all, do I need it. I gotta admit a polymer lower worries me, but other guns have jumped on the polymer lower bandwagon too. Have there been any reports of the polymer lowers failing. I hear they flex and may have trouble in really cold weather, but I'm not sure if that's true. I just don't know. I'm kinda playin the waiting game I guess. I'm hoping to hear the polymers have had no trouble. But all the work for them seems to be in the sandbox. Seems they haven't had any trouble in the heat to my knowledge.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's the thing I don't get... These active duty guys are able to call up Handl and somehow obtain a full-auto aftermarket lower for their own personal use in-theatre?

Who buys this stuff? How's it accounted for? Who owns it when they come back? Does the SCAR25 have a NSN #? Could a member of NSW leaving on deployment swap out the lower (or upper) on his issue M4 just because he didn't like it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I now have plenty of OEM mags that run like raped apes, I see no need for the Handl that seems to have a history of less than stellar performance, if I where in the market for one I would wait for the S.E.A.L.

Why spend the cash on a gamble, buy OEM mags & ammo instead!!! :x

·
Registered
641 Posts
Confirms what I've heard from a SEAL armorer about the MK17 lowers cracking downrange. Gonna have to sell a gun to afford it, but I plan on hooking up my rig with one of these and a Geiselle trigger.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is there a significant difference between the SEAL and the HANDL? different material? a design change? The Handl seems to have been out for a year or more, So I assume there is an improvement in the yet to be released SEAL.
When the Sarge puts out a product, you can be assured that it has been evaluated and tested till the cows come home for the BBQ. To many companies use their costumers as unwilling beta-testers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
A SCAR trigger module that doesn't work with SCAR mags? Seriously? :-D

Were the action pics in the MSW article written by a guy in NSW taken before or after actual hard use that otherwise would have cracked a factory polymer lower?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
He has an article from April where the rifle is utilizing the OEM lower. How was the Handl lower used, by how many, for how long, under what conditions? Is it officially being utilized by SOCOM or one dude that put it on his rifle and took a picture and then was paid by Handl? If the lower was the BIGGEST complaint, don't you think FN would have changed it in the earliest trials/testing like a decade ago?

The biggest advantage for this lower is to use DPMS style mags when you couldn't find SCAR mags. Do you only own one type of handgun or do you have a Sig, a Glock and a 1911, and do they all use the same mags? Same for rifles, do you have an AK, VZ58, AR, FAL, AUG and a SCAR, do they all take the same mags?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
He has an article from April where the rifle is utilizing the OEM lower. How was the Handl lower used, by how many, for how long, under what conditions? Is it officially being utilized by SOCOM or one dude that put it on his rifle and took a picture and then was paid by Handl? If the lower was the BIGGEST complaint, don't you think FN would have changed it in the earliest trials/testing like a decade ago?
I was thinking the same thing. I've seen so many troubles with the HANDL lower on here that I was surprised to see such an article from such a seemingly reliable source. Anybody know if these are actually ok? What's the deal? Is this guy credible?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Here's the thing I don't get... These active duty guys are able to call up Handl and somehow obtain a full-auto aftermarket lower for their own personal use in-theatre?

Who buys this stuff? How's it accounted for? Who owns it when they come back? Does the SCAR25 have a NSN #? Could a member of NSW leaving on deployment swap out the lower (or upper) on his issue M4 just because he didn't like it?
Those operational operators play by big boy rules, so they are ALOT more flexible when it comes to bypassing big army/navy C&A and acquisition requirements. I believe they have unit issued purchase cards that allow them to buy and accessorize their personal loadout as long as it doesn't interfere with mission essentials and with armorer's permission. The equipment purchased still technically belongs to the government so it's not like they can take them when the person leaves the unit (I guess that can depending on how friendly you are with the unit loggie).

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
The mil-spec ceramic paint coating Handl bakes on to the lowers match really well with the factory colors FN anodizes their receivers with.
Does that mean MK17s don't come in the four shades of FDE like the 17s?

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's odd that this alleged factory polymer lower trigger module cracking epidemic only surfaced after the factory SCAR mag shortage ended. Equally odd is the fact that no one is snapping pics of the cracked modules. No time for pics you say? Well, there doesn't appear to be a shortage of Handl in action photo op pics.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts