FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hey to everyone on the forum, think its a great place. I picked up a matte stainless FNP 40 yesterday at Cabellas. I love it, took it out today to fire a few shots, worked amazingly, shot well, very little recoil. Only thing is it shoots low left. I was wondering could i adjust the sights or is it better off taking it to a gun smith to take care of. I thought i sucked at shooting but i had a couple of experienced guys take shots at 25 feet away and they were all going low left. Any suggestions, any help? its apreciated

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Welcome.

EVery once in a while someone floats thru with the same story. The sights COULD be off - but more than likely - its not the gun. Low/left is common for right handed shooters w/o good trigger control.

I have said this a million times whenever this comes up... But, I had an HK USPc - it shot low for me everytime (not low left, just low). I don't do this with any other gun. After 3 trips, I swore the sights were off.

I finally brought my rifle sandbags and sandbagged the gun at 7 yards. It was dead on. For some reason, the shape of the gun just makes it more likely to pull the gun downwards while pulling the trigger.

It took me 800 rounds or so to develop a way to shoot the gun w/o this happening. It was actually fun to make progress with it on every trip. However, I had already done my sandbag test, so I knew it was not the gun.

As for others shooting the same with your gun - whenever I hand anyone my USPc that has never shot it before, they always shoot low too.

Try it again. You COULD alter the sights and MAKE them be accurate for you. But then they really won't be true IF its a shooter problem.

It COULD be the gun. But, look at the rear sight - is it centered in the slide? If it is - its likely a shooter issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate it. I plan on taking it out again today. I'll try better grip control and trigger control. I'll let you know what happens. I think last time i was just trigger happy and went physco with it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Realize that where U put your finger on the trigger can affect it to. Try using the tip of your finger - then the middle point, and then the joint. Try it a few different ways to see which way works for you.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Unless your Jerry Miculek, your not experienced.lol. IMO, practice, practice, practice. Practice is the only way to shoot better. Even dry firing helps, I dry fire with A-Zoom snap caps. I'm not twitching as much as before.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hi there, welcome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys for all the help. I took her out today, i took it slower, took nice deep slow breaths, and practiced on my trigger squeeze. contrary to what i originally posted..... this gun is freaking accurate. i used the tip of my trigger finger as suggested and slowly squeezed off some rounds. i instantly found I WAS OFF, BIG TIME. luckily a fellow FNP 40 owner was there and said it took him about 1000 rounds before he became very well aclimated to the gun. He shot 5 rounds at 5 targets and every one of them went down. i love this gun and its become the pride of my collection, everywhere i take it, people always comment what a clean nice good looking gun, if they only knew how well this thing was built and how well it shot ( in the right hands haha, not mine clearly). the only sh*t part is i'm starting to get some serious ding action under the "P". ive read tons of posts, aparently this is a common thing for the FNP 40. ohh well i can live, this thing is a beast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts