FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put an RMR on an offset mount for my 17. Longer term plan is to have glass on top, with RMR on 45 offset for closer work.

For those with a similar setup,
a) which RMR did you choose (which recticle, MOA, etc) ?
b) did you use the low picatinny mount or the tall picatinny mount from trijicon?
c) which offset product did you use (manufacturer, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I understand exactly where your at. I run a similar setup on mine & I'll share my experiences.

1) Dot & 3.5 MOA I want the smaller size for grape shots on RDS for CQB. C-More, Docter Optic, RMR, Burris lll, J Point are all pretty good.

2) LMT QFSS Offset Low Mount on one & Wilcox NF ring mount w/ Docter Optic lll on the other. Be advised, the problem w/ the offset is you really can't do weak side transitions if the situation dictates. It doesn't mean you can't make it work just be advised of that limitation & you risk more exposure on a weak side corner. So if your patrolling & in a MOUT structure, Wadi, rock formation etc. & the situation dictates a left side engagement on a "Squirter" shot your going to have to expose more of yourself since you can't do a weak side transition on an offset. Hopefully that is clear enough for you to understand.

3) regarding offset mounts, LMT makes a good QFSS offset w/ decent shroud. TNVC, Predator Tactical (Matt Birkett) makes a decent one as well.

I would also consider KAC off sets BUIS as the most viable.

HTH, YMMV & good luck on your quest

·
Registered
344 Posts
While not a big issue because of the long battery life on most MRDS sights, some sights like the Trijicon RMR the battery is installed from the bottom, which requires you to remove it from the mount, so you may have to do a possible re-zero. On some other MRDS sights (like the one in the link below), the battery is installed from the top side. While it is a little larger in size and weighs a little more, my preference for a offset RDS would be one of the the Aimpoint Micro's by a large margin.
Product: MRDS | L-3 EOTech Holographic Weapons Systems

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
3.5 MOA Trijicon RMR the battery life is 3 years and its constantly illuminated. When it comes to the offset mount you don't need to drop a Benjamin as long as it's solid. I use a Daniel defense 45 degree mount. I also have a low ADM QD mount as a base for the RMR. It saved me from getting sprayed by a skunk one night :-D

Reactions: jmw101

·
Registered
687 Posts
I also used the RMR with the 3 MOA dot but went with the model you can turn off and also adjust the brightness on (Model #RMR06). I have this setup on two of my rifles that also have scopes. My scopes are mounted with LaRue LT-104 mounts and so I used the LaRue offset RMR mount that attaches to the LT-104: RMR Adapter Ring Half, LT742 | LaRue Tactical

It replaces one of the front ring halves and places the RMR at a perfect position to just slightly tilt the rifle and pick up the red dot. I love it and highly recommend this solution.

·
Registered
671 Posts
While not a big issue because of the long battery life on most MRDS sights, some sights like the Trijicon RMR the battery is installed from the bottom, which requires you to remove it from the mount, so you may have to do a possible re-zero. On some other MRDS sights (like the one in the link below), the battery is installed from the top side. While it is a little larger in size and weighs a little more, my preference for a offset RDS would be one of the the Aimpoint Micro's by a large margin.
Product: MRDS | L-3 EOTech Holographic Weapons Systems
i have an RMR and I've taken it off and remounted it one time and it held zero. It is supposed to hold zero according to Trijicon as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wet with this on my Tactical shotgun. No need to worry about batteries. The Amber Triangle is awesome, much nicer than a red dot. I sighted it in to the tip of the triangle so I can use that to shoot small and if I'm in closer and just need a quick shot then put the triangle on the target and presssssss. You need to look through one and you will not want to go red dot again. Trijicon RMR Dual Illuminated Reflex Sight w/ Triangle Reticle FREE S&H RM08A-33, RM08A, RM08A-38, RM08A-34W, RM08A-34, RM08A-35, RM08A-36. Trijicon RMR Red Dot Sights, Trijicon Red Dot Sights.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got the Vortex red dot with their 45 offset. Love it. Way lighter than the trijicon. Works great for me. Plus lifetime, no questions asked warranty. Can't beat it. Oh yeah, way cheaper also.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I got the Vortex red dot with their 45 offset. Love it. Way lighter than the trijicon. Works great for me. Plus lifetime, no questions asked warranty. Can't beat it. Oh yeah, way cheaper also.
Lighter? Which model of vortex and which model of trijicon are you talking about?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Vortex razor red dot. It's tiny as far as weight. I don't remember the trijicon model, but you can research it and see. I don't work for Vortex so not worth the pia to do it again, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts