FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man Arrested For Having Concealed Compartment in Vehicle | CNS News

A man was arrested in Ohio for having a hidden compartment in a vehicle & could face up to 18 months in prison, even though there was nothing inside the compartment.

--- What about all the Ohioans who want to conceal their CC in a safe location within their vehicles?

Geez... Put your CC in a shoebox under the backseat??? = FELONY! :icon_rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
He was arrested.

Now the state has to prove the intent to "facilitate the unlawful concealment or the transportation of a controlled substance" was indeed there.

Good luck with that one.

Now, if it was full of Mary Jane, well then... he'd be in a heap o' trouble.

By the way, has anybody seen MP_Ohio lately??????

-SS

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
In the article it says, "Troopers reportedly noticed an overwhelming smell of marijuana, which gave them probable cause to search the vehicle and led to the discovery of the compartment."

IMO, all drugs should be legalized, but until then, seams like a bad idea to use a hemp air freshener, I'm just saying.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
He was arrested.

Now the state has to prove the intent to "facilitate the unlawful concealment or the transportation of a controlled substance" was indeed there.

Good luck with that one.

Now, if it was full of Mary Jane, well then... he'd be in a heap o' trouble.

By the way, has anybody seen MP_Ohio lately??????

-SS
Unfortunately he'll probably go broke defending himself

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Very unfortunate that this guy is put in a situation where his liberty is at risk for a secret compartment full of empty space. This is how insane the drug warriors have gone when they criminalize empty compartments in vehicles. It wasn't enough for the politicians to make the drugs illegal AND the smoking/ingesting devices (aka paraphernalia) illegal.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The most important point in the article:

Trafficking drugs is already illegal, there is no need to go after the container.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wasn't his car, was a friend's apparently. That said, if you smell like weed...

I'm just wondering, from the way the article portrayed the whole "wires" and such, would a subwoofer box count as a secret compartment? I would have assumed the guy had an aftermarket stereo, like I have had in several cars.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have to laugh at what idiots these guys were in the design of their "secret compartment." They had it set up to open on some sort of electrical switch. I guess that is clever, but it is not clever if you don't hide the wires to the mechanism. So the cops saw, SAW the wires! They must have been barely concealed if they were concealed at all. They followed the wires to the compartment and then with some effort figured out how to open it. If they just had a basic compartment nothing would likely have been discovered.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Wasn't his car, was a friend's apparently. That said, if you smell like weed...

I'm just wondering, from the way the article portrayed the whole "wires" and such, would a subwoofer box count as a secret compartment? I would have assumed the guy had an aftermarket stereo, like I have had in several cars.
No one cares anymore if one smells like weed.

At the gun show last weekend, two, ahem, upstanding citizens cam in stinking the enitre place up smelling like weed, yet they were sold a gun by a dealer without even batting an eye. Illegal as hell but.....

·
Registered
793 Posts
In the article it says, "Troopers reportedly noticed an overwhelming smell of marijuana, which gave them probable cause to search the vehicle and led to the discovery of the compartment."

IMO, all drugs should be legalized, but until then, seams like a bad idea to use a hemp air freshener, I'm just saying.
So if they want to search all they have to do is say they smell smoke? No way that gets abused, lol.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
So if they want to search all they have to do is say they smell smoke? No way that gets abused, lol.
Yeah, I find it a little funny that some are willing to believe the cop actually smelled something. You know what was happening the moment he saw those wires....

This is the worst piece of legislation i have heard of since ACA. As someone mentioned before, they will ruin this guy one way or the other. As we have seen time and again, justice is as good as your lawyer. This law is so poorly written it is laughable, if it weren't being enforced.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Very subjective and easy to abuse, unless nothing is found and the driver is not using.

Again, if all drugs were legalized it would not be an issue. The police could concentrate on getting impaired drivers off the road and we would not be wasting billions of dollars in the War on Drugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts