FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seemed like a good idea at the time????

An Ohio man has repaid more than $26,000 to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) after investigators caught him on camera selling firearms out of his home while receiving workers’ comp benefits. Charles Newland pleaded guilty to fraud Dec. 9 in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas.

“Mr. Newland was operating this business while he was supposed to be off work recovering from a workplace injury,” said BWC Administrator/CEO Steve Buehrer. “That is a clear conflict and we are pleased our investigators were able to capture the video evidence to put an end to it and bring thousands of dollars back to the State Insurance Fund.”

BWC’s Special Investigations Department opened a case on Newland after receiving an allegation that he may be operating a firearm and archery business near his home while collecting disability for a prior workplace injury. Investigators who visited Newland and posed as customers confirmed he was operating Buckeye Archery next to his home. He was selling the firearms, archery, and hunting equipment and supplies while collecting temporary total, living maintenance, and living maintenance wage loss benefits. Injured workers are not permitted to return to work while collecting these benefits.

Read more: Ohio Man Sold Guns While on Workers? Comp

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Good for them. I wish the Department of Veterans Affairs would do these investigations for some of the guys collection 100% "unemployability" and the "caregiver's assistance" benefits. I know for a fact there's a lot of people taking advantage of these while working jobs getting paid under the table.

Reactions: t.monty07

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
What a joke....it's amazing what some folks will do to make a buck! I have a neighbor in the hood-former paramedic who supposedly injured his back on the job in FL years ago. After moving here and being on disability he has standing 8am tee times 4 days a week, cuts is grass, trims and blows on the off days and loves to shovel snow. Now, every month I watch him practically do cartwheels to the mailbox to pick up that check. It chaps my as#! That is all.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good for them. I wish the Department of Veterans Affairs would do these investigations for some of the guys collection 100% "unemployability" and the "caregiver's assistance" benefits. I know for a fact there's a lot of people taking advantage of these while working jobs getting paid under the table.
And how. When I got ready to retire back in 08, I had a retiree tell me how to milk the system in order to get to 100%/Unemployable. I didn't do it, and still wound up with a 75% rating.

·
Administrator
11,355 Posts
There are provisions within the 'unemployability' rules of the VA that you can do minimal work, but can not 'make a living wage' while considered 'unemployable' due to injuries sustained while in the military. It is much like SS where you can earn some money (very little) while getting SS without losing your benefits.

But I agree, anybody who is declared 'unemployable' by the VA and makes thousands of dollars on a side business should have their unemployability status reversed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
SNEAKY SNEAKY!!!! Like they say, "what you do in the dark, will soon come to light"....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There are provisions within the 'unemployability' rules of the VA that you can do minimal work, but can not 'make a living wage' while considered 'unemployable' due to injuries sustained while in the military. It is much like SS where you can earn some money (very little) while getting SS without losing your benefits.

But I agree, anybody who is declared 'unemployable' by the VA and makes thousands of dollars on a side business should have their unemployability status reversed.
Yes I work for the VA so I"m aware of what is allowable for them, and that's why I know what some of these people are doing. When you see a 26y/o kid that doesn't work driving a $50k BMW and his only source of income is his VA compensation you know something is wrong here.

~~I hate to sound like I don't support the guys after they get home, but it really pisses me off to see this firsthand knowing that some of those resources could be going to another VA program-- like the HUD/VASH to fulfill the promise and get guys off the streets. (end rant)

·
Administrator
11,355 Posts
Yes I work for the VA so I"m aware of what is allowable for them, and that's why I know what some of these people are doing. When you see a 26y/o kid that doesn't work driving a $50k BMW and his only source of income is his VA compensation you know something is wrong here.

~~I hate to sound like I don't support the guys after they get home, but it really pisses me off to see this firsthand knowing that some of those resources could be going to another VA program-- like the HUD/VASH to fulfill the promise and get guys off the streets. (end rant)

Great. Maybe you can help me as my claim for unemployability that I submitted in Apr 2011 is in the crapper.

Let see. I submitted the claim in Apr 2011. Back injury suffered while on active duty in 1988. Gotten much worse over the years and is now chronic back pain (they claim it is a back strain but twenty doctors say it is chronic back pain) and I do not have the ability to wipe my ass without hurting. Hell, I can't remember the last time I did not hurt. Have only had one job in 13 years (lasted less than a year) and I was fired from it because I had to take massive amounts of narcotic pain killers to deal with the pain and was walking around like a freaking zombie. First job in my entire life I was fired from.
Saw the VA doctor for a comp exam who basically said "raise you arms, lower you arms", then stuck his finger up my ass". What a thorough examination that was....Wonder if he got his rocks off........
VA denied the claim.
I hired a lawyer.
Claim was appealed.
VA - Oops we lost the claim and all related paperwork can you provide copies. EVERYTHING. Yeah, they lost it right into the garbage can.
Lawyer provided copies of claim, denial, and appeal to the VA. VA says this is not an appeal because we have no record of the claim so it is a new claim.
VA Started a new claim with a start date of Apr 13 (wonder what happened to the last two years?)
Hurt my back again, think I bent over to pick up a newspaper, (reason for unemployability claim) day before Thanksgiving and now have a fractured T9 vertebrae.
Got to see another VA doctor on Dec 4th.
Doctor stated "I see you were in the ER recently" and then stated that she was not going to touch me for the examination and said that they were going to send the claim back to the VA with a recommendation that I be rescheduled for another visit at the Compensation branch in about 6 months.
Got a letter 3 DAYS LATER from the VA. Your claim is denied.

Talk about being ****ed by the VA system time and time again.......

Yup, the VA, an opportunity to give your life a second time (or every time you go there) for your country.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Unfortunately I see this problem daily. 20 year olds to 70 year olds that are either disabled or on SS for some major and MOST (in my limited view of the world) minor injuries milking the system for all it's worth. Some have worked only a few,short years and others NEVER a day of gainful employment in their life! The really sad part is that there are physicians, lawyers and judges that have allowed these people to get by with this garbage. Some professionals are just hired guns to get people out of work. It really disgusts me that I have guys and gals tell me "I can't even work a part time job because I'm so bad off."......dang. Really. Many I weeks I worked 80+ hours for years. I don't wish that on anyone, but seriously, 20 hours is too hard?

(stepping off soapbox)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Great. Maybe you can help me as my claim for unemployability that I submitted in Apr 2011 is in the crapper.

Talk about being ****ed by the VA system time and time again.......

Yup, the VA, an opportunity to give your life a second time (or every time you go there) for your country.
Lol..this is why I hate sharing my employer. C&P isn't my department as I'm a service provider at a Vet Center and I'm actually trying to get into another department because I'm getting burned out of this one. Which VA hospital in Fl are you going to?

·
Administrator
11,355 Posts
Lol..this is why I hate sharing my employer. C&P isn't my department as I'm a service provider at a Vet Center and I'm actually trying to get into another department because I'm getting burned out of this one. Which VA hospital in Fl are you going to?

James A Haley in Tampa FL but the claims department is in St Petersburg FL.

Yeah I figured that you did not work in the Comp/Claims dept as you would have never said anything. It is just a FU system right now and there does not seem to be anything that I can do about it except play the game "deny till they die". Hopefully, before I die, I will at least be able to get into the court system so that I can make the VA eat the crap they have been dishing out to me since 1994 when I retired from the military. Hell, I am already at 80% (really 130% - but they calculate differently), what the hell is another 10% to get me over that thresh-hold of 90%.

It just struck a nerve because I am the classic case of unemployability. I could not give an employer 15 minutes of work in an 8 hour day and it is just so frustrating to be stuck in a situation where I can't work, but want to work. The last four weeks have been especially hell for me as I could not even get to a store to buy my wife a Christmas present. How totally depressing for me, and her.

I could give you horror stories of how I spent 3 years in the VA pain clinic as an OP while they used me as a guinea pig to try different medications on to help with the back issue. Reminded me of Monty Pythons "The Meaning of Life" where the father said to his children that it was "medical experimentation for the lot of you". And after three years it was "well, we did everything we can think of. So sorry but you are on your own".

Yes, I despise the VA system, not so much the hospital, but the Comp people can KMA and I hope that the ones that have been giving me such a hard time on my claim get to burn in hell because it would be much less painful for them in hell than to live one day with the pain that I have to live with.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Yeah I figured that you did not work in the Comp/Claims dept as you would have never said anything. It is just a FU system right now and there does not seem to be anything that I can do about it except play the game "deny till they die". Hopefully, before I die, I will at least be able to get into the court system so that I can make the VA eat the crap they have been dishing out to me since 1994 when I retired from the military. Hell, I am already at 80% (really 130% - but they calculate differently), what the hell is another 10% to get me over that thresh-hold of 90%.

It just struck a nerve because I am the classic case of unemployability. I could not give an employer 15 minutes of work in an 8 hour day and it is just so frustrating to be stuck in a situation where I can't work, but want to work. The last four weeks have been especially hell for me as I could not even get to a store to buy my wife a Christmas present. How totally depressing for me, and her.

I could give you horror stories of how I spent 3 years in the VA pain clinic as an OP while they used me as a guinea pig to try different medications on to help with the back issue. Reminded me of Monty Pythons "The Meaning of Life" where the father said to his children that it was "medical experimentation for the lot of you". And after three years it was "well, we did everything we can think of. So sorry but you are on your own".

Yes, I despise the VA system, not so much the hospital, but the Comp people can KMA and I hope that the ones that have been giving me such a hard time on my claim get to burn in hell because it would be much less painful for them in hell than to live one day with the pain that I have to live with.
HK,
You can get help with your claim from the DAV or American Legion. They helped me with my claim that was denied. After resubmitting with their assistance, my claim went thru without a hiccup. It cpst me nothing at all. I recommended a friend who developed cancer from Agent Orange exposure. They got his claim approved also. Good Luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just sounding off here. I had an experience with the va as well. Hearing impairment. My father, who it turns out was exceptionally good at paperwork, and as patient as a komodo dragon helped me with my claim. He told me to really scrutinize the claim denial paperwork, and to watch their verbage. In a sense, they'll tell you exactly what they want to hear in an appeal. All it is, is paperwork. Don't cost nothin' to submit. Its like a jedi mind fůk. You just can't give up before they do. Using a social program in this country is like milking a bull: takes a bit to get started, but once it happens, it happens all at once. I'm not saying you should "milk" the system, but if you need help, you need help. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

·
Administrator
11,355 Posts
HK,
You can get help with your claim from the DAV or American Legion. They helped me with my claim that was denied. After resubmitting with their assistance, my claim went thru without a hiccup. It cpst me nothing at all. I recommended a friend who developed cancer from Agent Orange exposure. They got his claim approved also. Good Luck.
That was my first step to submit the claim using the help of a advisor from the American Legion. After the claim was denied, they are the ones that recommended that I hire a lawyer to handle the appeal as they were not capable of directly asking for a hearing with a DRO instead of just doing a straight appeal which would have been (was) denied again.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I started working there as a social worker back in the day. That's where I started my history with the VA as a patient followed by an employees. I'd give you some people to contact, but it's been 5 years since I worked down there and I don't think anybody I worked with is still there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts