FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to handguns with some shooting in the Marines and a couple times since. But I am still not sure which gun to get. 9mm for sure. These are the guns I am considering:

FNP-9
Springfield XD
S&W M&P 9mm

They all kind of fall into the same price range and size and use. I will be using it for home protection and range and later I will get my ccw and will probably get a smaller carry gun.

Now the FNP is the only DA/SA in the group, although I like the idea of one trigger pull tension in the DAO and the XD has the loaded chamber indicator and more in the way of safeties as the FNP just has the decock for saftey. I do like the back straps on the M&P and FNP. Without being completely bias, can you tell me why I should get the FNP? I love the fact that this company supplies my Marine brethren with M16-A2. I like makers who supply military and police a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not sure I could tell you to choose the FNP over the M&P and be completely honest. I will say the XD to me is too blocky and feels unbalanced. I also don't care for the trigger much. Between the FNP and the M&P, I prefer a DA/SA w/ decocker over a DAO or w/e S&W calls it. I also really like the grip of the FNP, but that's all preference. Have you had a chance to at least hold both? I imagine that would help you make up your mind.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hello,

Good choices. My first suggestion is to buy all of them (but you probably saw that reply coming a mile away) :wink:

Another suggestion is to wait until you can try them and see how they fit you.

Lastly, the actions are different on all three as you stated. Deciding which one you feel better with is important.

I have an XD9 that I like alot. I am a DA/SA fan so the XD isn't my go to gun but it is still a great gun for the range and home defense. The grip safety, the chamber indicator, and the cocked indicator, are cool features. Mine is reliable, I hear good comments from owners and hardly any complaints other than that the grip feels weird to some folks.

The M&P9 is a gun I almost bought a month ago. But even though I hear the DAO action is not real stiff, I still wanted DA/SA so I passed. I have a Glock 17 so I don't see an advantage to adding a M&P9 to my collection. I may change my mind after shooting one, but for now I don't see a good reason to buy one. (not that I need much of a reason to buy a gun)

I just bought my FNP9 a month or so ago. I haven't had a chance to get to the range in a few weeks though, so I haven't shot it. I bought it due to the great price, the backstraps, DA/SA, and because I like the looks.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them, but if I had to choose which one to buy, I would get the FNP9. And I would probably consider a Glock 19 over a M&P9.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts