FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I can get an Trijicon Accupoint for about 1/3 the price? I'm not saying it isn't better, just wanting someone to 'sell' me on an Elcan. Granted, it's gonna take the sacrifice of a firearm or two but if it needs to happen.....

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
- It has a reticle calibrated for .762
- Quick flip from 1x to 4x
- Comes with a QD mount
- Multiple levels of brightness and multiple reticle settings
- You can get one in FDE

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kev......but don't I get all (or most) of that with the Accupoint? Not trying to be difficult, just wanting to understand the reasons why one would pay more for them. I bet if I was able to hold each one and look through all the choices, I'd be convinced but regretfully I've only others opinions to go by.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Because operators use them in operations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do not know...

I have a ACOG TA11E-G.

Calibrated for .308
I utilize the Bindon Aiming system
Brightness adjusts to area light
It does not need batteries

Disclaimer - I have never used an elcan. However, I do love my ACOG.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Thanks Kev......but don't I get all (or most) of that with the Accupoint? Not trying to be difficult, just wanting to understand the reasons why one would pay more for them. I bet if I was able to hold each one and look through all the choices, I'd be convinced but regretfully I've only others opinions to go by.
Well exactly which Accupoint are you talking about? I dont know of any that have any of the features I mentioned.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TR24.....but it doesn't have BDC. However, I see conflicting opinions on the merits of having that in the first place. Don't need FDE as mine is in the correct and highly desirable color already.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For me it'd be that instant 1x to 4x change rather than having to turn a zoom ring. Plus, you know, operators operating in operations with it.
Also, they look kinda cool. And aren't they made by Raytheon? Didn't I read that somewhere? Any company that makes AMRAAMs is ok with me. :)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
The reticle does not have birightness adjustments per say. Granted, you can use the cover to cover up the fiber optic to reduce the amount of light projected through the reticle, but its nothing like the adjustments for the red dot/reticle of the Elcan. Also the TR24 does not come with a mount. You will need to get rings or a QD mount of your choice. And to adjust the scope magnification, you will have to rotate the adjustment ring. The Elcan has a quick throw lever.

Dont get me wrong, the TR24 is a great optic. I'm just trying to "sell you on the Elcan" like you asked :mrgreen: I think the TR24 would be a fine choice. In fact, I received one today from SWFA for my 17. ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm just an old man who likes to shoot guns; hardly an 'operator'! And while I am a disabled veteran, I can't lie and say I did anything more dangerous than eating the powdered eggs.....well, there WAS that time at Fort Rucker with a hard landing...;). Anyway, I have no aspirations to be a dangerous guy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think I'm gonna have to shoot a little lower (sorry) and go with the Trijicon....save the money for a can and trigger maybe.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Dont forget to post in the photo thread after you get it installed! :)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Dont forget to post in the photo thread after you get it installed! :)
He can't, since Trijicon isn't a sponsor of this forum. ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
My old TR24 is a 1.25 to 4. I got it around $700 and love it. I can handle the 1.25 but some folks don't like it. If you want to save more money there are still plenty of them around.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts