FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I know is put bullet in mag, put mag in gun, pull trigger, gun go boom, and hope you hit what you are aiming at... :D

On a more serious note, What is a good defense round and what is the typical "shelf life on them"? I've always wondered about this...

This is for a 9mm...

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I'm using Speer 124 grain +p GDHP. They feed really well and I believe they expand quite well (I don't have reliable testing for this, though I'm sure you can find it out there somewhere).

As for shelf life... I'll probably buy some new stuff in a couple years as I like to go through a mag of it every now and then. You'd probably be safe for at least 10 years depending on humidity and other environmental factors.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Winshester SXZ at bass pro, the practice rounds and defence rounds have the same ballisitics :shock:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I like Gold dot in 45, and I have a little in 9mm.

But honestly, a few years ago, I started buying the 50 packs of 9mm JHP at Wal-Mart - the Winchester White Box (not the target ammo, but hollow points). A few years ago, I read some ballistic tests for the round online, and it was about the same as many leading brands.

So, I do not feel like I am compromising. But, I can get 50 of them for the price of 20 of other brands.

This affords me the opportunity to keep more rounds onhand, and to change them out in my carry gun more often.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Ship...

Who is that in your avatar and what's it from...it cracks me....You'll get a laugh out of mine when I bring it from my old PC. It has to do with my signature... :) If you wonder what is the connection...we resemble each other...IOW, I could make a living as a celebrity impersonator of Rob Van Winkle.. LOL!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
That is Col Shepherd from Stargate Atlantis. There are many stargate fans on this site - as it is what got many of us interested in the PS90.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I still use 124gr Federal Hydra Shok's for defence rounds. Winchester White Box for range rounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts