FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He said, she said, they said, alot of hoowee. I think Sarah did alright as far as acting like she was prepared and was up to the task of debating Biden. But while I watched the debate I was wondering who was telling the truth and who was twisting facts. Evidentally they both were twisting the heck out of facts. So much for Palins "straight talk". So I have to say it was a draw.

Here a couple of places that are listing the twists.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_biden-palin_debate.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27001026/

·
Registered
262 Posts
I dont have a dog in this fight - I am voting for Bob Barr so here is my "unbiased" opinion....

I think she did what she needed to do secure the republican base. She didn't answer the questions posed and she really didn't say anything substantive but she didn't stumble around or falter in any noticeable way. Intellectual she is not but I think she appeals to the repubs/indeps who want someone who is like them and are less concerned with really understanding the nuances of the issues.

However, debating is much different than interviewing. In debating, its much more "acceptable" to change the subject, hit your talking points and dictate tempo. The real test is when she goes back on the road and starts interviewing again. The first time she sits in an interview and says, "Katie, I dont want to answer that, I want to talk about energy" and starts giving her stump speech, they will tear her apart for it.

As far as Biden goes, he was so close to crossing the line of being so smooth and prepared with his "facts" that I think some will perceive it as "just old school politics". I think that undermines Obama's frame of "new" and "change". The chemistry of the Obama/Biden ticket doesn't seem to mesh well. I will give him credit for pounding on Cheney - not really a risky political move but I am glad he said it.

Overall, I think Biden won but he didn't beat the spread.

·
Vendor
5,649 Posts
I say draw. I was hoping for a little more fight out of Palin but she just stuck to talking points.
Biden.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Noone will change their mind over that debate.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well It was real close. Sarah make some flubbs, Biden made some flubbs, Sarah rambled a bit, didn't quit get the shout out bit to 3rd graders (Sarah 3rd graders can't vote). Biden did get a bit monotone which ZZZZZZZ me. They both lied about "facts".

All in all if I had to pick who won. I guess I'd have to give it to Biden. The reason is simple, he irritated the least. Sarah didn't answer all the questions, and if she tells me again about what an expert she is in energy, yet oil has go up from $24 to $140 a barrel and gas from $1.79 to $4.09 a gallon. Makes me wonder if she's really a expert in energy or just an expert in raising prices at the pump.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You are right Doc, I saw her out there with a screw driver the other day, opening up the pumps and rolling the dials up another .20 cents. I'm sure it was all her fault that gas prices went up. Especially considering we get 40% of our oil from Canada, and most of the rest from South America, and the rest from the middle east. What next.. Bush lied, people died? Talking points are just anoying.

Zhur

·
Registered
630 Posts
Factcheck.org is funded in part by the joyce foundation. Bracak Obama was on the board of the joyce foundation and it is one of George Soros foundations

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Oh I'm sorry Zhur, did I offend you? Did Bush lie you asked? Yes he did. Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away either.

Fact:
This year, 670,053 Alaskans got $3,269.00 in oil dividens(cash money) for doing nothing. If you do the math thats $2,190,403,257.00. The people that recieved this money didn't own the land or work in the oil field, they just live in Alaska. Now, what your saying is that Alaskan TAX has no effect on the price of oil? Ok if you say so.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Alaska Senate Passes Oil Tax Rewrite
Triples Oil Revenue at Today's Record Prices
Released: August 10, 2006

(Juneau) - Legislation that generates billions of dollars in additional oil and gas revenue for future generations of Alaskans passed the Alaska Senate this evening. HB 3001 replaces the state's outdated ELF system with a thoroughly modern oil tax plan that raises significantly more revenue and can help to refill the trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline by encouraging the industry to explore for new oil deposits.

Sen. Ralph Seekins (R - Fairbanks) chairs the Senate Special Committee on Natural Gas Development, the committee responsible for the landmark legislation.

"This legislation hits all the bases. It modernizes the state's petroleum tax structure and spurs the industry to go out and drill for more oil by granting tax credits for verifiable expenditures made in Alaska. This bill also captures our fair share of record high oil prices so Alaska has the revenue it needs for many years to come," Said Sen. Seekins.

"There is far more to this piece of legislation than just raising more oil revenue because it eventually creates new, good paying jobs in many different sectors of the economy," said Senate President Ben Stevens.

Here are some highlights of bill:

20% production tax credits for oil and gas investment in Alaska
22.5% tax rate on "net" positive cash flow or "Production Tax Value"
Progressivity. A higher tax rate (.25) kicks in when oil sells for more than $55 per barrel.
At today's ANS closing price of $75.05 and a full year of production the PPT will generate 3.7 billion in one year revenues, almost three times the amount generated under the current ELF based production tax.
Protects declining Cook Inlet oil production by leaving the existing tax structure in place.
Requires a report in 2011 about how well all the incentive provisions are working to enhance exploration, development and production in the state.
The bill now goes to the house for a concurrence vote on changes made by the senate.

# # #

·
Registered
408 Posts
Amazing how Sarah Palin didn't have anything to do with the legislation ehh Doc? Facts are just that, facts. Just make sure they line up with the conversation first. :?

I've never stuck my head in the sand, nor have I stuck my head in the talking points of political pundits and simply accepted what they drool all over the media as fact.

My point is, anyone who thinks that ONE PERSON can cause all of this, is taking crazy pills. Bush didn't do it all by his "wittle wonesome". What's Congress's approval rating again?

I still can't figure out where I said or implied that you offended me. I'm just having a conversation. You should try it. :D

Zhur

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
devildoc said:
Oh I'm sorry Zhur, did I offend you? Did Bush lie you asked? Yes he did. Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away either.

Fact:
This year, 670,053 Alaskans got $3,269.00 in oil dividens(cash money) for doing nothing. If you do the math thats $2,190,403,257.00. The people that recieved this money didn't own the land or work in the oil field, they just live in Alaska. Now, what your saying is that Alaskan TAX has no effect on the price of oil? Ok if you say so.
Sounds like you're just not happy that you did not get an Alaskan 'oil bonus' check in the mail.

You can fix that by moving to Alaska.

·
Registered
630 Posts
or get your governor to negotiate a better deal with the oil companies

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Uhhh Palin is HOTT :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts