FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On average how many rounds of ammo do you keep in your house.? All calibers included in one lump sum.
<100?
<250?
<500?
<750?
<1000?
>1000?
I’ve been getting a hard time from the wife because I bought a 1000 of 9mm. I really didn’t think it that much. But her point was if you add everything together we probably have upwards of 5000 rounds. THE VAST MAJORITY being 22’s. So I was just curious about what others have.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tell her it is an investment and explain the current ammo price increases.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im low somewhere around 13K thats not with the .22 ammo that in its self its anywhere from 4-6K (I shoot allllot of .22 now)

I used to have 10K of just 5.56 but sold some of the M855 and .308 to a friend.

Im getting another safe or building a secure room just for more ammo.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I only have roughly 5K 7.69x39 and about 2K 556. I thought I had a lot. I guess I need to go buy more to keep up :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
From the choices of your suggested answer, I've got > 1K rounds.

I keep at least a minimum of 1K each caliber of 5.56 NATO, 7.62X39 and 9mm NATO.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Just under 20,000 right now. I stocked up in June 2006 before the price increase last year. I keep an Excel spreadsheet that has the type, caliber, make, weight, package, price, and where it was purchased. I keep it updated as I add or use it up.

Example:

9mm Para 06/11/06
Federal XM982 124g
FMJ 20x50 Boxes.
Ammoman $169.00m

But I do not keep this at my house. The only ammo in my house is defense rounds for my carry. I had a volunteer fireman tell me that if they respond to a house fire and the owner is there, they will ask if ammo is in the house. If you say yes they will not enter the house to fight the fire. They will spray to contain only. If you are not there and they here rounds popping off they will retreat. I don't know if that is true of all fire fighters but I have no desire to test it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Less than 500 rounds. I tend to shoot it as I buy it. I never saw the point of having lots of ammo laying around. Probably makes me a freak on the boards. :oops:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
septo said:
Less than 500 rounds. I tend to shoot it as I buy it. I never saw the point of having lots of ammo laying around. Probably makes me a freak on the boards. :oops:
I used to be that way, but I started stacking up some extra rounds a year or two ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts