FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've all seen the articles on civil disobedience over the AWB in CT already. Here's the next volley in that battle. This is the strongest letter I've seen posted to those in government. It was sent to over 1200 state officials and LEOs emails. It's a great read and VERY direct. I feel it will have an impact and it will get positive results.

Sipsey Street Irregulars: An Open Letter to the Men and Women of the Connecticut State Police: You are NOT the enemy (UNLESS YOU CHOOSE TO BE.)

It's long but well worth reading every word. Post your thoughts on this below. I'd like to see similar language sent to CA, MA, NY, NJ and other states violating their own citizens rights.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not the brightest thing to do. Mike Vanderboegh has painted a target on himself and those in his group
by providing them evidence that he is not going to obey the law. The Government doesn't fear sternly worded letters.

America is pro-gun, but liberals are able to push the disarmament of America in the blue states pretty much at will.

We need men and women to get off the internet and out from in front of the television, and stage massive protest at
the offices and homes of anyone who votes to take our rights away. Then we need to get to the polling places and show
them who is really in charge.

Republicans still outnumber the Democrats in America. Democrats just have more voters that get to the polling stations.

We have too many able bodied pro-gun people that write sternly worded letters, vote on internet polls, and then jump on the internet
forums and preach about how they are doing their part....all while sitting comfortably in their Lazyboy and never voting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Foolish or not, communications like this remind people of their rights. Rights many would see slip away without much more than a sighed protest. Letters like this will likely have little effect on the intended recipients. They may, however, have an impact on citizens and their actions. Hopefully in the way they vote, rather than in violence. Our political system, our leaders...are so off balance that reason and logic have been abandoned. I don't have the answers, but something had better change, or our freedom and lives will change for the worse.

·
Vendor
1,774 Posts
While I agree with the notion that CT has overstepped the bounds of the constitution, this letter is a rambling piece of emotional trash that belongs in a woman's journal. This is not about the author's emotional need to brag about being rebellious, but about responsible people figuring out how to get things done within the context of the current constitutional system.

This is the kind of nonsense that gets the pro-gun lobby declared as nut jobs.

As Green Beret pointed out, in the reality of our political system, there are ways to deal with these issues through the courts, and by voting, or by motivating people to care enough to vote.

Writing taunting letters declaring war, (but insisting that this is not a threat), is childish antagonism that does not address the real problem. Indeed, it probably hurts more than it helps, because a lot of the voters who are marginally in favor of gun rights, but don't consider it their #1 priority, and will likely shy away from this sort of 'fight to the death' rhetoric that provides the singular choice of 'for us, or against us'.

Reality is that guns are not an inalienable right. Sure, they are protected by the second amendment, but as we all know, there are mechanisms in place for changing the constitution if you get sufficient votes. It is not theoretically impossible to vote out the second amendment, so this IS a battle for votes. Further, our current government has safeguards in place through the courts to protect us from laws that are unconstitutional. Abandoning these mechanisms by running out and declaring war (but this is not a threat) is a disregard for our constitutional process as much as CT has disregarded the constitution protection of the second amendment.

Finally, as any marketing manager will tell you - if you can't get your message into a single concise page, you don't have a message. I got half way through, and lost interest.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I whole heartily agree with everything you wrote except:
Reality is that guns are not an inalienable right. Sure, they are protected by the second amendment, but as we all know, there are mechanisms in place for changing the constitution if you get sufficient votes. It is not theoretically impossible to vote out the second amendment, so this IS a battle for votes.
The Bill of Rights are inalienable in the sense that abolishing anyone of them would delegitimize the rest of them, and in fact would in essence create a new form of government altogether. Interpretation allows for adaptation to meet current circumstances; however, like you said, when the majority vote out the current form of government, any new form is possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts