FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought one of the new FNAR Competition rifles. I have also bought a Leupold VX-3 4.5 to 14 40mm scope for hunting/plinking (plinking is not the right word but the best one I could come up with right now). I have 2 questions, 1.) what height rings are you guys using for a 40mm scope such as the one I mentioned? I would like to keep the scope as low as possible. 2.) What adjustable sights, that can be removed while using the scope but put on if the scope fails or other emergency comes up, can be used on this rifle? Please note that this rifle has a front rail sight mount just like the rear rail. Thanks for any help in advance, Bill

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Congrats on your new FNAR competition. Welcome to the forum. Someone who has an answer will chime in to help you out Bill. Just give them a little time. Enjoy yourself here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guys! Forget that it is a Competition model.... what scope base and rings are you folks having good luck with on the FNAR with the picitinny rail? Or are you removing the rail and installing a different base? I plan on mounting a 1" 40mm objective lens scope.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Greatwhitesharp, welcome to the forum.

Most folks on the forum seem to be using the original rail that comes with the gun. A few are using an aftermarket 20 MOA rail for long range shooting. As a first step you need to remove the original rail and re-locktite it or go ahead and bed it to the action. A common issue with the FNAR is the rail coming loose.

As far as rings, my scope has a 50 mm objective. Someone with a 40 mm objective will likely provide info soon. With my particular 50 mm scope I use 1.125" height rings. With this ring height, the bell of the scope will not clear the rail, but the scope is mounted with the bell just in front of the rail and nearly touching. This worked out for the correct head position for me.

Do you have a good LGS you can try different height rings on at? I am lucky to have a few excellent high end stores around here.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have a standard FNAR mounted with a Vortex 6.5x20x44. I used Burris Xtreme Tactical medium height rings. I have about .2 inches between the scope, and the front of the rail itself. I have heard of some people trimming off the front of the rail to make a lower set of rings work. You may be able to get away with a set of low rings, but medium height rings would work for sure.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looking at the rail, it's definately a little long in the front. I guess it dosent matter except for the scope clearance.

FNAR-scope.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ordered TSR alloy steel medium rings. LaRue did not offer rings or a mount (except a very high one) for a 1" scope and they said my best bet in their product line was to buy a 30mm ring with inserts for a 1" tube. So..... I went with TSR. I will take off the rail and locktite it firmly as others have stated. I will let you guys know how it works out after I put some rounds thru the gun. I know not many will use a 1" Tube or a 40mm objective lens but I don't plan on shooting much past 300 yards and I want a low, fast rig. It is mainly a deer and hog gun for me as I need a soft shooting gun due to a pacemaker but I wanted something a little more reliable and accurate than the Remington semi-autos I have shot for years. I also chose the competition due to it having a "straight stock" as I am old enough that I grew up before the pistol grip became the norm and I am simply not used to one but I am not saying they no good or not for others. In my time we still shot the M-14. Don't get me wrong, I can protect myself and the old woman but personally I don't want a full "tactical" gun so I had to make some compromises. I know I will get hated on for making it mostly a hunting gun but I still need to say thanks for all the help I have received on this site thru this post and reading other posts. Thanks again, Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
so they ended up producing the competition model after all? thought that wasnt going to happen.. i wonder if that stock will be available seperate?
i have medium rings with a 42mm end bell on my fnar.
hope you enjoy your rifle!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts