FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to rifles, and made the right choice in making the FS2000 the first, and probably only, rifle I will buy.

I do need a scope. I hope to plink at 100+ m, only resorting to the 50m range when I must. Am I better off buying something like an EOTech and then a 3x or 4x magnifier in the spring when outside shooting is bit easier, or get a Lupold or similar 1- 3 scope? Other brands? Other magnification options? And I'll probably duct tape a laser pointer to the rifle when I want to play CQB.

I emailed magpul 's customer service asking them if they bought Monolith Arms, and if they did, when they might have the tri-rail ready for public consumption.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i don't think you'll need a magnifier if your plinking at 100m

i do have an Eotech 557 4x now the setup will cost a very pretty penny it dose bridge the gap between the cqc sight and a long range sight that still has that square picture the battery life is shorter than an aimpoint but you can buy Eotech batteries aka AA batteries anywhere

if you want an eotech you don't have to get the 557 the 512 will do just fine for 100m

but Bushnell makes a cheaper optic that resembles a eotech haven't used it so i can't speak about its reliability

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. What is the range of the EOTech without a magnifier?

I'm looking at the EOTech 517; my outdoor plinking will start at 100m, and then see how far I can go. My thought is when I can exceed the range of the EOTech, then get the magnifier. That might be a some time ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
fltsrgn said:
Thanks. What is the range of the EOTech without a magnifier?

I'm looking at the EOTech 517; my outdoor plinking will start at 100m, and then see how far I can go. My thought is when I can exceed the range of the EOTech, then get the magnifier. That might be a some time ...
IME about all you can expect out of a red dot sight is 300 yards. after that the target gets obscured by the optic itself.

I had a chance to check out a 4x eotech magnifier this weekend and it was crap. not worth the money. too head position sensitive and poor quality optic.

Frankly I'd want an Aimpoint, but I'm fairly competent out to about 500 or so with little magnification. Out to 300 you really dont need it too much on a combat gun, but magnifcation rules beyond about 100 yards. After looking thru MANY optics of differing price ranges I'd say that if you need magnification then get that leupold MR/T 1.5-5 M2 scope. It'll do whatever you need it to and it's by far the best bang for the buck out there right now AFAIK. An IOR/valdada might be another excellent choice.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Youch, the leupold MR/T 1.5-5 M2 scope is a bit $$$ -- any reasonable alternatives. As been said elsewhere, the EOTechs and similar look damn food on the FS2K

·
Registered
150 Posts
are you set on what type of sight you want if you want a traditional cross hair then hunting scopes can be had for $100 at outdoors stores but if you want red dot holo or "military" model scopes they will run 1000

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not set on a type, but do want it short and low (otherwise why spend top dollar on a long barrel in a small package). My big problem is that the HWS look so goood on the 2K. Maybe just get an EOTech then save up for a good optic when I have more experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you want to go cheap while you save up, the burris fast fire mini red dot is a decent buy for around $225.

I have gone the cheap route and tried to get the "half measures" but they never work out and end up being an anchor around my neck. saving for a good scope is by far the best investment and you will never regret it.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was not clear. Perhaps get a good EOTech and if I'm not happy with it when I shoot long, then either get the magnifier or a good quality 1-4 or 5 optic scope. It makes no sense to drop this kind of money on a rifle and get cheap sights.

Looking at the lack of accessories, especially compared with the many offerings for the PS90, I wonder what FN's marketing folks think. Patience is a virtue??? I want my tri-rail!! I want my vertical grip :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I picked up an Eotech 553 & 4X.FTS both for $1000 shipped/insured. I figure since I spent $1800 on the rifle I might as well not skimp on the optics. I also went with Troy Battle sights to Co-witness the Eotech. If my red dot goes bye bye when I really, really, really need it at least I'll have a backup. I'll post some picks when my iron sights arrive on monday!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info, esp re the Millet sight. Having some trouble downloading their catalogue.

Wu -- how far have you shot your combination? Again, I'm looking at shooting 100 - 300 m as it warms up and I can get outside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have the fs2000 and 2 EOtechs and 2 Trijicons (4x32 and 3.5x35). i pefer the trij over the eotechs. but for cqb the eotech is nice - i absolutely hate the on/off buttons on the eotech. the eotech loks great on th f2k. still for 100m the trijicons are great....

check out the ultradot pan av - in expensive with a great warranty. i am getting one of these for my krinkov.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally got off the pot and ordered up an EOTech 516.A65/1. If I dont like it, I have a friend who'll buy it. I have several rechargable CR123 batteries (Fenix flashlights rule but they dont do lights for weapons). If I like it alot, will look into the 3 or 4 X magnifyer for distance. Thanks to everyone for their input, here and on different posts. And, yeah, part of the decision was that the FS2K look like they were made for a HWS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts