FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Independence Day everyone! Just wanted to post a quick picture of my first time doing a load work up. 175gr SMK, 4064 powder, FC brass, WLR primers. I did a round robin starting at 41.8gr of powder and working my way up by .2gr increments to 42.6gr. I did one shot for each powder charge on it's own target, then went back and took the second shot for each powder charge, then did the third shot for each charge. The reason I went through each group one shot at a time was so the heat of the barrel was somewhat consistent for each shot grouping. I feel like these velocities are somewhat low though. I'm trying to develop a 1,000 yard load. This was shot with a glass bedded SPR A1 24" 1:12 twist with Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T. One thing to note is that the trigger pull on this rifle was extremely heavy. I'm guessing 6-7 lbs easy. So that could've affected my groupings a bit. What do you think of this Optimal Charge Weight testing? I discovered it from Dan Newberry's website. Anybody have advice to help me improve my load work ups? Are these velocities too low for a 1,000 yard gun? I have already loaded up about 75 more rounds with three different types of brass to do my next load work ups. If all goes well I should be shooting these tomorrow. I also took the stock off and adjusted the trigger pull weight, so I'm sure this will help some. ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1436034614.771653.jpg

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Looks like your rifle like 42.2 the best.

I have not shot 175 gr SMK's out of my rifle yet, but I have a bunch loaded up, in half grain increments from min to max (my rifle is an A5m). I'm thinking that you'll probably be good out to 1000 yards with any of those loads.

Reactions: Stealth_OPS32
1 - 2 of 2 Posts