FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am considering purchasing a new fnp 45. one online dealer has 2 usg models. one is described as black matte slide. the other as stainless slide...

does fn make a dark earth usg model with the "silver" looking stainless slide?

thanks.

ps: this will be my 3rd fn gun purchase in 3 months (fiveseven, ps90, and.....fnp45) :shock:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have never seen that color combination. For now, I think the dark earth frames only come with black slides. Sorry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - i didnt think that was right - but could be kinda cool.....

trying to decied between all black and blk/silver.......any thoughts.

how durable is the blk melonite finish?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I can't speak towards durability of the finish, but my preference is definitely towards black on black. I know a lot of folks really like the two tone, but they always look to me like someone assembled them out of spare parts of different guns.

Also, it sort of reminds me of when women bleach half of their hair and leave the other half black. Doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
All black guns aren't my preference - that's one reason I hard chromed the slides on 3 of my polymer guns.

However, I have been very surprised at how scratch resistant the slide finish is on my FNP.

Anytime I thought I got a scratch - when I wipe it down with a patch with CLP on it, it always comes right off...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I too have found the Melonite black finish to be quite scratch resistant.

It's a pretty tough customer all around IMHO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the plain blued or parkerized finish. Just goes back to my GI years and all the weapons for work I was ever issued were either blued or parkerized. I like the fact that less reflection from a surface makes for less of a target. Just my opinion. I stand corrected, my tanks were painted OD green.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought the 2 tone 45. I have a black on black FNP9. I think the 2 tone is much better looking.

jkbduck

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i like em but i would just get the regular black slide FNP 45

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those of you who have been around for a while will remember when pistols were available in a Blued, Nickel or a military Parkerized finish.
Now we have all these coating choices and colors available. It's like walking into a paint store. And that's what it's all about I guess. Heck we even have one manufacturer building guns with a pink finish to appeal to the ladies. It's kind of like the old Burger King slogan, "Have it Your Way."

I remember seeing about twenty 4" Model 66 S & W's laying on a table during a qual for a local Police department I used to work with as a R.O. from time to time. It was funny that when it came time to pick your weapon back up you almost had to know your serial number. Because almost all had been "customized" to the level available then which was Red Ramp and White Outline sights, Target / Combat Triggers, and the Target Hammers. I'm grateful for more choices. Not everyone wants a multicolor finish, but I really like the options we have now.
My choice for a L.E. duty weapon would be black. But in a combat role in the field There are clearly better options. Sooo...... Do your own thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts