FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well per Highplainsgun shop my Scar should be shipping tomorrow, so I decided to order a few things for it.
1. Super SCAR trigger
2. 4 extra FDE mags from a forum member "will buy more later"
3. ACOG TA-11JG 308, now I kept going back and forth I would have loved to placed an MK6 1-6X on the weapon but that was a bit more then I wanted to spend on optics. So I had decided on the Vortex Razor HD 1-6X with the TMR. In my price range, and I have other vortex optics. So I was set then I started thinking well maybe an ACOG, the deciding factor was I got the ACOG for $1000 and really I think it is probably the better optic for a Battle Rifle, the range is great, the glass is great, the optic is tough the warranty is fine "doubt as good as Vortex" but the weight is so much lighter 14oz vs 25oz add in the ADM B3 mount which is 3oz vs a mount for the Vortex would have been 8 so I came out at 17oz vs 33oz. If it would have been 5 or 6 I probably would have chosen the vortex but a lb seems much more to me plus I do have a bolt gun for shooting long range with a nice vortex on it. I also purchased an extra 500rounds of Privi 168match.

I also just invested in Dillion 550b with some friends so now on to finding powder Varget, IMR 4064, or 4895.

I think I am going to enjoy this rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Were you able to find the trigger for a good price? I looked around a couple of days ago and everyone seemed to be out of stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well depends on what you think a good price is. I think the cheapest I have seen them is what 265? That was at one shop and ofcourse out of stock. I paid 325$ Shipped, so considering the trouble finding them at the moment I am cool with that. With what I have researched it is a huge improvement so IMO it's worth it and if it showed up next month for 265 it wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My searches have had the same results/prices which makes me feel better about paying $325, I'd hate to think I paid an extra $60 just because I didn't shop around enough. Ill probably order one tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't put an optic on my 17s yet, I'm curious to see if you like the Acog on your setup. I have an Acog on my 16s but the eye relief is horrible. I'm hoping this other Acog is better. I would hate to have to get that close to a scope with a 308 recoil. Send some pictures and let us know if you like the new setup. Thanks !

·
Registered
927 Posts
I haven't put an optic on my 17s yet, I'm curious to see if you like the Acog on your setup. I have an Acog on my 16s but the eye relief is horrible. I'm hoping this other Acog is better. I would hate to have to get that close to a scope with a 308 recoil. Send some pictures and let us know if you like the new setup. Thanks !
I can't find it now but there was a really good comparison between 3 models of Acog scopes including eye relief!

To the OP, I too am currently looking for an optic for my 17. If you can please post some thoughts and pics after a range day with your new toy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I researched quite a bit on the optic to go with my rifle, I am not going to lie I really wanted a 1-6x scope and would have loved a Mark6 Leupold but couldn't justify the money quite yet plus then it would be a 200 dollar mount instead of an 80 one. So my next obvious thought was the Vortex Razor which is one hell of an optic but the weight of it at 25 ounces just kills it, and a mount for it is 8 ounces so that was out. SWFA cheaper yet, they are decent, but heavy pigs as well, so then to ACOG's as someone mentioned there are quite a few post on different boards regarding the TA11 from what I have read the eye relief is good, the optic is great for CQB type set up and did I mention it's light. One day I will step up to the Leupold but I am confident I will be happy with the TA11. I will def take some pics and try and to a decent review on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts