FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm-nxs-compact illuminated w/ MOAR Reticle for my Scar 17s that I'm waiting for still. Anyone have any suggestions on scope mounts for her?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Do you want quick release or is the scope pretty much going to be on your SCAR full time. If full time I highly recommend the Seekins rings, extra tall worked well on mine. I have the same scope, different reticle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think full time if I put the irons canted. I'd like to set it up for both close and long range, figured the scope and offset the irons to the side? How do you like the Nightfprce 42mm on the Scar? Which reticle did you get?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If the scope is going to stay on the rifle, Aero Precision Ultralight. It's not expensive and light. If QD is desired, American Defense Delta.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have my NF 2.5-10x42 MOAR on the NF Ultralight Unimount. I'm not a "SHTF" kinda guy so I don't care that I got the "high" version and removed the rear sight or that it doesn't have QD. It's rock solid. If you went with NF for the scope I wouldn't skimp out on the mount. 20150118_152343 Small.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ordered a NF 2.5-10×42 as well and went with the ADM Recon mount. I have had good experiences with ADM and prefer their levers over the others out there.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have my NF 2.5-10x42 MOAR on the NF Ultralight Unimount. I'm not a "SHTF" kinda guy so I don't care that I got the "high" version and removed the rear sight or that it doesn't have QD. It's rock solid. If you went with NF for the scope I wouldn't skimp out on the mount. View attachment 36034
The hight is for MOA adjustment. From he looks at your setup you could probably do 1000 yard shots without maxing out the scope. My basic rule is lower mount are more accurate for close distance higher mounts are better for long distance.
BTW nice rifle setup. Looks like one hell of a bad ass DMR.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think full time if I put the irons canted. I'd like to set it up for both close and long range, figured the scope and offset the irons to the side? How do you like the Nightfprce 42mm on the Scar? Which reticle did you get?
The IHR. It's simple and that's what I was looking for.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just ordered a Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm-nxs-compact illuminated w/ MOAR Reticle for my Scar 17s that I'm waiting for still. Anyone have any suggestions on scope mounts for her?
My personally favorites for two piece rings are either Nightforce, Seekings, Badger Ordnance, or any matched serialized scope rings. If you decide to go with two ring I'd mount scope to the rings in a home made leveling jig or purchase one from badger ordnance and perfectly mount scopes for life. You would be surprised how many friends and family will ask you if you can help level there scopes and rings perfectly. The other route is a one piece mount QD or non-QD. Like a lot of people have mentioned if you don't plan on taking the scope on and off a lot don't waste your money for QD. Hell all you need is a torque wrench with an allen bit and you can take the mount on and off in less then a minute. As far as one piece mounts stick with a name highly recommended brand. A lot of good suggestion listed above. Lastly I just want to mention again how important it is to spend the time to properly install the scope. Check the for the correct torque pounds for each screw. Absolutely follow the weird screw tightening map. And don't level and install the rings on the rifle. You purchased a nice high end scope so don't skimp of mounting it. It would be like buying a luxury sports car and putting Walmart clearance tires on it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
All of the NF unimounts have 20 MOA built into them. X-Treme Duty - Ultralite? Unimount? (Titanium/Alloy) | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.. NF doesn't list it as "high" but on the Optics planet the 1.125" height is listed as "high". NightForce UltraLight Unimount Rifle Scope Mount FREE S&H A191, A190, A192, A221, A257, A194. NightForce Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.. The objective cover contacts the rail (you can actually see that in the picture) and takes some fussing to get it on so you couldn't get a lower mount unless you wanted to remove the objective cover all together. I personally try and get the scope mounted as low as possible on all my rifles to keep the scope as close to the bore axis.
The hight is for MOA adjustment. From he looks at your setup you could probably do 1000 yard shots without maxing out the scope. My basic rule is lower mount are more accurate for close distance higher mounts are better for long distance.
BTW nice rifle setup. Looks like one hell of a bad ass DMR.

·
Registered
876 Posts
All of the NF unimounts have 20 MOA built into them. X-Treme Duty - Ultralite? Unimount? (Titanium/Alloy) | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.. NF doesn't list it as "high" but on the Optics planet the 1.125" height is listed as "high". NightForce UltraLight Unimount Rifle Scope Mount FREE S&H A191, A190, A192, A221, A257, A194. NightForce Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.. The objective cover contacts the rail (you can actually see that in the picture) and takes some fussing to get it on so you couldn't get a lower mount unless you wanted to remove the objective cover all together. I personally try and get the scope mounted as low as possible on all my rifles to keep the scope as close to the bore axis.
I used to think the same thing until I took a course on LDS. A good scope and rings mounted perfectly gives you more freedom. I use a ballistic program on my iPhone and it's amazing after you enter all the info about your rifle. Though I have to admit it feels like cheating since the app uses your GPS location and pulls all the weather data.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What would the purpose of a 20MOA mount be on a SCAR when it's a 1,000 yard with the right ammo at best in blessed hands?

Anyone here anything about this alleged soon to be released BOBRO "SCAR mount"?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Bobro mounts are the best imo if you are going for repeatable QD

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you don't need QD, go with Seekins AR-high rings. Then you will have no questions about everything being locked down tight with no movement. A pair of Seekins rings also weigh about half as much as most of the quality QD mounts do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So after doing a bit of research, it looks like cantlever mounts are not the best option on a Scar 17. I ordered a ADM Recon-S mount and will be returning the regular Recon when it comes in. I wanted to go with the Delta mount but the new NF 2.5-10×42 doesn't fit in it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts