FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would certainly like to give one of these a try if they ever go into production.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Guys these have been around for a long while. I have two of them and they run like champs. It's the only gas system that I would use on a factory DI AR. That is unless somebody gave me an HK upper! I used to have an Adams Arms unit.....NEVER AGAIN.

A couple of days ago Ark Defense Group bought Osprey.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Guys these have been around for a long while. I have two of them and they run like champs. It's the only gas system that I would use on a factory DI AR. That is unless somebody gave me an HK upper! I used to have an Adams Arms unit.....NEVER AGAIN.

A couple of days ago Ark Defense Group bought Osprey.
what problems did you have with the Adams arms kit?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
what problems did you have with the Adams arms kit?
Oh man, it's pretty detailed. I had two of them at different times. The first one functioned very well but the second one was a horror show. It wasn't cycling at all after the first 60-70 rounds. I adjusted it, tweaked it and nothing. I finally called up Adams Arms and they told me to send my whole upper in. I sent it in and they returned it back in a reasonable amount of time. I noticed that it came back with a few new scratches on the upper as well. There was also no documentation or any notes about what they adjusted/repaired. I called them up, they said they adjusted the gas block position and that it was running fine.

My first trip out to the range and again it wouldn't cycle just like it was when I sent it in. It would fire one round and not cycle the next. It was like they didn't do a damn thing to it, except the scratches. At this point I was frustrated as it was a new build which was really sweet. So, I took it to a very competent gunsmith that I have been going to for years. They had it for about two weeks and told me that the gas block needed to be re- positioned over the gas port and that the OP rod was too long, out of spec!!!! The smith actually cut down the OP rod and then had it running like a banshee. A couple of months later I sold the whole rifle and just cut my losses. Since then I went with the OPS-416 and haven't looked back.

What does this tell me about Adams Arms?

1.) Questionable Q.C.
2.) Their repair/service people are complete idiots and don't have a clue.

So, I said to my self never again. Why would I want to buy a product from such an incompetent bunch?

The Osprey has fewer parts and no springs which I like. It also self regulates the gas, so no need to adjust it if you want to shoot suppressed. The only gripe that I have is if you want to put a free float rail on it you have to disassemble it to clean the piston system which kind of sucks. That was one benefit about the AA unit, you could pull the OP rod assembly right out through the gas block.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm a believer in AR piston systems. Currently I own a POF, an Adams and a couple of LWRCis. Unless I missed it, carrier tilt isn't addressed by the Osprey system. Other piston systems deal with carrier tilt by changing the profile of BCG or by spring loading it so it rests directly against the buffer. I'm not dissing Osprey, it's just something I noticed when looking at the design.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I'm a believer in AR piston systems. Currently I own a POF, an Adams and a couple of LWRCis. Unless I missed it, carrier tilt isn't addressed by the Osprey system. Other piston systems deal with carrier tilt by changing the profile of BCG or by spring loading it so it rests directly against the buffer. I'm not dissing Osprey, it's just something I noticed when looking at the design.

Carrier tilt is taken into consideration on the Osprey BC design as well. Osprey basically addresses carrier tilt through the contour and beveling the back end of the BC just like AA. I even ran it for a while with the AA bolt spring and when I asked Osprey about it they said it was not necessary. I have never seen any outrageous signs of tilt or shavings in the buffer tube. (something you should regularly check for no matter what piston system that you use). On a side note I highly recommend the POF roller cam on whatever piston system that you use.

Also the piston design is completely different. The AA unit has a very narrow gas piston chamber which is located farther down the bore making the OP rod longer. This could possibly make the AA OP rod more prone to flex because of the length.

The Osprey piston chamber is much larger and in my opinion way more robust. In addition it is located in back of the FSP and closer to the BC. Shorter rod could potentially mean less opportunity for flex when striking the carrier. This "pure hit" could be the reason that they don't have the extra "bells & whistles" regarding carrier tilt.

Either way it's your guy's money and I have had first hand experience with both. I am not an engineer so take my comments with a grain of salt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts