FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing people on the internet claiming that their firearms blew up from an out of battery firing. This is the reason for this post. I see it on here and a couple other forums. I'm wanting to give you all some facts on a cartridge and what happens when its somehow supposedly fires out of battery and not supported.

If an Out of Battery firing actually ever happened the chances of any damage is extremely low. Ammunition that is not supported does not develop the pressure to blow a firearm into pieces. From the claims I've seen on forums I have never seen the fired casing that actually showed one single out of battery firing to date. In the pictures you can almost always see brass flow. This is the #1 sign of high pressure round. If an out of battery firing happens it will scare you and may throw out some unburned powder but the velocities will never be high enough for any major damage. The casings also split on the from the front back or on the sides. Not the rear of the cartridge. The barrel and inside of the action are typically coated with unburned powder.

Here is an awesome video from SAAMI demonstrating modern ammunition and how it reacts when not supported. The 2 minute mark will demonstrate this perfectly. Its a great video if you have 25 minutes to learn about Ammunition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great video, very good information but man what a waste of ammo. I guess the data collected from these experiments were well worth the cost though. I wonder if ammo suppliers donated these cases for this purpose?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts