FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Ohio and it is looking like we will be allowed to hunt with PCR this coming hunting season. Because of this I am looking for a Pre-Remington 1984c Marlin. I found one posted on armslist but they are in Indiana. Fortunately, they are near Indianapolis where the wife and I will be going for the NRA convention. Is there any legal way for me to buy this rifle from him face to face and avoid shipping it to my local FFL? I know I've read some things in the Ohio Revised Code allowing the purchase of a rifle/shotgun with states that border Ohio but I don't know if federally this would be a problem. Can you just transfer it at an FFL in Indiana?

Also, what's a good going rate for a true Marlin 1984C?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If you can comply with both Ohio and Indiana state requirements, yes, but I would check with the seller first to make sure they are OK with the plan.

The information below is from the following link: https://www.atf.gov/content/firearm...-unlicensed-persons#potato-gun-classification

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, and I've seen that before when trying to find the answer online but the very next question seems to contradict it:

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After thinking about it a little more, I'm guessing the above state applies to shipping a firearm to someone. The way, Cap10's statement reads is that we would have to go to an FFL and run a nics check to allow me to take possesion.

After looking into Indiana law, it appears to be the same as Ohio when it comes to allowing adjacent state transfers of rifles and shotguns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts