FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the platform just always wanted a 17. So when I found a slightly used specimen for a good deal I puller the trigger (no pun intended).

I performed a super scar swap on the trigger, made my way to the range to zero and had a ball. I then decided to break the gun completely down and give her a good cleaning. This included removing the components that make up the gas regulation system.

Some weeks after reassembly, I again went to the range but immediately noticed that when firing I get some serious flame coming out of the charging handle port. I do not remember this being the case during my initial experience.

The gas regulator is at the 12 o'clock position and everything fires fine, accuracy is fine, etc...photographically speaking, my reassembly appears to be correct and accurate.

Am I tripping? Is this normal? Perhaps something I simply didn't notice upon initially firing the gun? Or did I assemble something incorrectly? I'm no expert, clearly, on this platform. Much thanks in advance for any constructive insights you could share

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not that I think it could create the dramatic issues you mention but did you ensure the piston rings were staggered if you took it out to clean? Also worth mentioning NO lube of any kind whatsoever should be used on the piston.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that in my zeal to clean my new toy that I inadvertantly got breakfree on that piston.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that I think it could create the dramatic issues you mention but did you ensure the piston rings were staggered if you took it out to clean? Also worth mentioning NO lube of any kind whatsoever should be used on the piston.
I followed a YouTube video for disassembly, cleaning, reassembly. Maybe I should have my gsmith give it a once over...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Steel cased .308. Wolf or Tula
well obviously with steel cased ammo the case doesn't expand like brass to close off the chamber during firing.....maybe that's what you're having happen, not really sure. I'm not a big fan of steel cased ammo and haven't ever put any in my multi thousand dollar rifles. Maybe try some brass cased and see if you run into the same issue. Make sure you clean the chamber out well, steel case can leave some of the lacquer in there and stick your next round.
Extra solvent in the barrel from a fresh cleaning can give you a nice fireball out the barrel on the first shot or two but never seen that come out the chamber. The SCAR and piston guns in general doesn't need to be run "wet" like gas driven rifles so you can lube the action sparingly. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts