FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what that thingy on the FN P90 stock is? I don't have that on my PS90 and after watching this video I still can't find any information about it.
P90 Stock Thingy.jpg

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
It appears to me to be a self made self applied seam holder, it may as well be a pad under the magazine to stabilize it, or could be something else but based on the very small picture you posted, I can not get it detailed enough running on my 3840 X 2160 monitor to determine what it is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears to me to be a self made self applied seam holder, it may as well be a pad under the magazine to stabilize it, or could be something else but based on the very small picture you posted, I can not get it detailed enough running on my 3840 X 2160 monitor to determine what it is.
Watch the video and pause it at 15 seconds.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I still think that it is there to stop the stock from splitting during auto fire. I remember people having issues with the stock splitting enough to allow the receiver to separate from the stock. It could also be an RFID chip for armorer tracking. I will go with the stock splitting tbeory.

That is exactly what it is. The stock will split with Sub Sonics also. The problem is that once it splits the first time it shaves a small amount of the inside of the stock off. It creates a ramp that makes it progressively easier for the receiver to pop out, shaving away more material each time.

I have worked on some fixes including a Ti insert but nothing I find acceptable and affordable.

FYI FNH has known this was/is an issue for many years now. This is why FNH armors keep a box full of new stocks sitting around and as soon as a P90 has this issue they pop a new stock on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That is exactly what it is. The stock will split with Sub Sonics also. The problem is that once it splits the first time it shaves a small amount of the inside of the stock off. It creates a ramp that makes it progressively easier for the receiver to pop out, shaving away more material each time.

I have worked on some fixes including a Ti insert but nothing I find acceptable and affordable.

FYI FNH has known this was/is an issue for many years now. This is why FNH armors keep a box full of new stocks sitting around and as soon as a P90 has this issue they pop a new stock on it.

https://tinyurl.com/y8gojqce

[video]https://www.*****ute.com/video/WFSk9EhKN1X7/[/video]

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
OK ...I'll eat the poisonous fruit from the tree of ridicule which subsides in " The Pit of Misery "... this morning.... " Dilly, Dilly ! "

There are design/repair obstacles on all 4 components that interface this area. Best I can do is offer up a temporary fix but it may last longer than I anticipate ??? .... the #1 problem .... aka lack of real-estate !

I have to concur with Jay, if he has tried a few options for a permanent repair ... nothing that I could come up with is easy or cheap . I don't think Jay gets enough credit around here.... !!!! JIMO

Here are some pics of a repair concept that I believe would remedy the situation . At least temporarily... for me... I would enjoy the challenge !

Some "Low Boy" or " Button Head " 6-32 or 8-32 SHCS's would be needed.
The receiver would need to be stripped and the stock and receiver re-assembled along with the ability to clamp things securely.
The Magazine would need to have the bottom side ribs cleared flush in the marked area, thus providing a little clearance for the SHCS which would need to protrudefrom the stock surface approx. 70%-50% of the head thickness.
Finally you better be good with numbers for the reverse engineering number crunch game.....LOL
There is enough real estate " meat " in the receiver at this specific location to tap some threads, the stock wall thickness is minimal thus a shallow counter-bore pocket less than the head thickness is needed . Finally ... it will require an allen wrench to field strip slowing the ease of disassembly.... for those unfortunate souls... that desire to shoot AE rounds because ...??? they are cheap ! I don't know if that is even possible ... shooting AE in your P90 ???? I would think that answer is " NOT FOR LONG ..." ! Considering some may try the A/E for economical reasons ... they will surely slip into " The Pit of Misery ".... Dilly,Dilly

Check it out.... it would allow the end user weapon usage without/stock receiver separation .... while a back up stock is procured !

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK ...I'll eat the poisonous fruit from the tree of ridicule which subsides in " The Pit of Misery "... this morning.... " Dilly, Dilly ! "

There are design/repair obstacles on all 4 components that interface this area. Best I can do is offer up a temporary fix but it may last longer than I anticipate ??? .... the #1 problem .... aka lack of real-estate !

I have to concur with Jay, if he has tried a few options for a permanent repair ... nothing that I could come up with is easy or cheap . I don't think Jay gets enough credit around here.... !!!! JIMO

Here are some pics of a repair concept that I believe would remedy the situation . At least temporarily... for me... I would enjoy the challenge !

Some "Low Boy" or " Button Head " 6-32 or 8-32 SHCS's would be needed.
The receiver would need to be stripped and the stock and receiver re-assembled along with the ability to clamp things securely.
The Magazine would need to have the bottom side ribs cleared flush in the marked area, thus providing a little clearance for the SHCS which would need to protrudefrom the stock surface approx. 70%-50% of the head thickness.
Finally you better be good with numbers for the reverse engineering number crunch game.....LOL
There is enough real estate " meat " in the receiver at this specific location to tap some threads, the stock wall thickness is minimal thus a shallow counter-bore pocket less than the head thickness is needed . Finally ... it will require an allen wrench to field strip slowing the ease of disassembly.... for those unfortunate souls... that desire to shoot AE rounds because ...??? they are cheap ! I don't know if that is even possible ... shooting AE in your P90 ???? I would think that answer is " NOT FOR LONG ..." ! Considering some may try the A/E for economical reasons ... they will surely slip into " The Pit of Misery ".... Dilly,Dilly

Check it out.... it would allow the end user weapon usage without/stock receiver separation .... while a back up stock is procured !
If done right this could be a good fix!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If done right this could be a good fix!

Agreed I tested a larger version of my old style magazine feed lip protector I created. The issue was just not enough clearance for it.

I did cut a section the width of the button opening extending about an 1inch towards muzzle. I held it in place with 4 small screws 2 from each side. While it works cost of labor exceeded cost of a new stock.

FNH needs to upgrade the stock material to the mix they are using for the MK2 frame.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have another option in mind. BUUuuuuuut I am not ready to share because it's a path I am going down that should work well, be cheap and easy to do.
Shooting suppressed with even just 5.7 197SR ammo beats up that area on the stock. I used an AAC 762SD on my SBR'ed PS90 and that area looks chewed up a little.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts