FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got mine I told myself i'd never mess with it, it's very expensive, looks good how it is and not worth screwing with just for looks. But lately i've been thinking about a new paint job for some reason. Everything around my area is woodland. The FDE is kind of like a sore thumb around here.

I've seen some pretty bad ass paint jobs on them around here. How hard is it to do? Looking for some time of woodland pattern. For those of you that did paint it do you regret it or wish you had done it differently?

·
Registered
258 Posts
you can always put some different colored furniture on it. I have a magpul grip and forgrip that are OD green. you could do rail covers too. my lower was black. paint or dye the cheek riser and you can have a splash of all kinds of colors. its obviously not a pattern but better than all solid color.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Rather than paint it myself, I'd look at getting a professional cerakote job done. I have seen some amazing camo done and if you google it you will see what I mean. Its an expensive gun so I don't think dropping a little cash for a professional job is a big deal. Better than rattle canning it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm a huge fan of rattle can paint jobs on rifles and carbines. Great thing is, if you screw up, you can always try again. I haven't done it to my SCARs mostly because I like FDE how it is. If either of my SCARs were black, I'd rattle can them in a heart beat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i've been liking the rattle canned look. Think people use fish net of some sort to do it? That was something else I wanted to ask. If I mess up, instead of freaking out at what i've created I can always try again right? Just paint on over?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Rattle can is cheap and easy.

If you want a looker, get it done professionally.

If you plan on "dragging it through the mud," rattle can it. It's all up to what you want to do with it, it's your rifle.

Reactions: wilderness medic

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rattle can looks good and fitting. I take care of my rifle but it's not a range queen. It's going to get drug through the mud. I'll check out that site.

Anyone ever regret it and get panicky that it turned out horrible when they tried it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only done it on AR's and if you actually use the rifle the color will slowly fade or rub off at which point you could go with a new color scheme.

Just dont decide to go that zombie neon theme.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha no way. That link posted is pretty close to what I want. Just some break up woodland pattern and something a little more personal than stock. I'm bonding with it now, haha...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yeah i've been liking the rattle canned look. Think people use fish net of some sort to do it? That was something else I wanted to ask. If I mess up, instead of freaking out at what i've created I can always try again right? Just paint on over?
Pretty much. I did a video on paiting a carbine using more or less the method you described. Fixing any mistakes you make is pretty easy, as long as you still want it painted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't believe people rattle can their SCARs. Get it cerakoted or professionally painted. They look great already! Unless you made the mistake of getting a black one..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't believe people rattle can their SCARs.
The price is the only thing "fancy" about the SCAR. It's not like it is highly finished and polished from the factory. Rattle canning seems pretty appropriate for something who's main qualities are durability and reliability. It doesn't strike me as, say, someone krylon'ing their Beretta Silver Pigeon in order to go turkey hunting or something. I don't think I'd rattle can mine, but mainly because I feel like I'd mess it up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
One thing you might consider is if you paint or professionally have it cerakoted you limit you perspective buyers to those who have the same taste as you do if you ever decide to sell it. "never say never". I would never Rattle can or cerakote my FDE SCAR 17S. But it's your SCAR it's your choice to make.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts