FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Para? What has their reputation been like? I saw their torture test for their standard model and was impressed enough to look into that particular brand. I've been looking into their Nite-tac .45 (black one), the P14*45, and the S16*40 Limited and the S14*45 Limited.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
May wanna go check out the two 1911 forums. But, I have looked at them before, as Academy stores has a blue one that is not that expensive. But, I read a very high % of complaints about them. Not sure I'd buy one.

I just started reading about that Academy model again in the past week - but I think a Springfield is a better buy and better quality.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Im not sure if something has changed now that theres a US division but my CCW is a P12 45 i bought along time ago. Its been perfect with many rounds through it. Pretty stinking accurate for a short barreled out of the box gun.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Got a P10 that I use for carry when needed. It's been flawless thus far at over 2300+ rounds. I put the two round extenders on the mags and with one in the hole that means 13 rounds of .45ACP and the whole thing fits in the palm of my hand. There's not a more compact .45 available with that capacity.
No complaints here concerning the quality and thats from a hands-on view point. :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
It seems that the consensus is that Para's quality is not like it was in the past. Anyway, as I stated, I have no 1st hand experience, but I comb thru the 1911 sites often, and I read my fair share.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that Para's are much better now than they were in the late 80's early 90's. I saw the extractor of a 1911 vs. a Para extractor and was surprised by the size difference.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just sold a NIB p14 LDA model on GB. Had a P12-45 on there too, got bought in the shop. Still have a P13-45 on GB.

I won't give an auction number 'cause thats a little close to spamming for me... but they are listed and out there.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think I would take Shipwrecks advice and read some of the 1911 forums just to be informed. See if theres a particular model or particular issue to watch out for..it cant hurt

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a Para Ordinance 1911 SSP. It has a satin black finish, rosewood grips, and silver fire controls.

The one I tried at the range ages ago was VERY accurate, so that tipped the scales for me (I wanted one anyways), so I bought a new one.

Mine isn't quite as accurate, and on one of the 3 magazines, it has a tendancy to jam on first-round slide closure; I'm baffled as to why. Also, the screw that holds the rear sight in place came loose, so it slides around, but a bit of loc-tite will fix that.

Overall, really I like it. I love the shift in weight when the slide moves.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My personal experience in selling them, and watching them on the line, is that they don't stand up to hard use very well, overall.

I personally wouldn't buy one, after seeing a far cross section of them, not just one or two.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Furyataurus said:
Anyone have a Para? What has their reputation been like? I saw their torture test for their standard model and was impressed enough to look into that particular brand. I've been looking into their Nite-tac .45 (black one), the P14*45, and the S16*40 Limited and the S14*45 Limited.
Did ya buy one yet?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was at Bass Pro Shops yesterday talking to a gunsmith who I've gotten to know and he pulled out an FNP45!!! That thing is a BEAST!!! :-D . Its bigger than my USP 9! It was in the shop, still NIB, because the right side de-cocker came off and is now lost. Its also not that much heavier than my fully loaded USP 9, but this one only had the 14 round mags and not the 15's for $600 something. Oh it was the two tone silver slide/black frame which I liked!!!

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Rudy, I demand that you buy it! :?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a virtual tie between the HK45 and the FNP45 for my 45 choice!!! I say virtual b/c I started with an HK and SHOULD stick with an HK for every new caliber I get i.e. 45 and 357 Sig next.

OH CRAP!!! I'm at post 666!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yes, the forum is big addiction lol...You can't catch up with me :twisted: Your second in line for post whore status. Btw stick with H&K :?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Yes, the forum is big addiction lol...You can't catch up with me :twisted: Your second in line for post whore status. Btw stick with H&K :?
Stick with H&K?

C'mon Ice! this is an FN forum! :lol:

Go with the FNP-more rounds in the mag :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I can say that b/c own both parties!! Ok....get both rudy. On another note....I'm gonna call FN and raise hell with them for screwing me on my ammo that I DIDNT GET!! I paid close to 900 bones for it if i recall and would love to take them up on the other promotions, but given there lack of service that they have given me, im a little reluctant. I say this as I eyeball another '90 too :oops:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
djv38 said:
iCeMaN said:
Stick with H&K?

C'mon Ice! this is an FN forum! :lol:

Go with the FNP-more rounds in the mag :?
Oh yea....all you need is one round IF you are a good shot, which I am :? Its just a nice feature to have IMHO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts