FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am turning 21 fairly soon an would like to purchase my first handgun. I am looking at the FNS-9 as the most likely candidate at this time as it seems as a good handgun to both learn and grow my skills and experience on.

One issue I have encountered is a certain apprehension from my parents in my purchasing of a handgun or any firearm. They say that they do not see a need for me to own a fire arm and are definitely against my purchasing of it. I have nothing but respect for my parents and they have given me everything that has lead me to the success where I find the financial resources as a college student to purchase such a fire arm. I will not go against my parents wishes as I still reside in their house and understand their concerns. One of the biggest other issues I am grappling with is whether or not to throw the money in my savings; I would really like the fire arm now but I also know that money would grow if I put it in my savings instead. This is something I always do before a major purchase; that being to see how much the same money would make in my savings over whatever amount of time.

I was just wondering what the forums thoughts are on this topic and what suggestions you have for me.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I was just wondering what the forums thoughts are on this topic
My thoughts are that since your email ends in .edu that this question might be just baiting the membership.

Reactions: Kipp and JMike

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
:welcomesigntb3:TO THE FORUM AND YOU DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT ABOUT PURCHASING A FIREARM YOUR PARENTS DON'T HAVE KNOW ABOUT IT. YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO FIND AN LGS AND PUT ONE IN LAYAWAY AND MAKE PAYMENTS ON IT AND TAKE A FIREARMS SAFTEY COURSE. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR DECISON

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
Save up your money, get your own place, then do what you want.

EDIT: When you do decide to buy a firearm, follow Lester's advice and invest in a safety class.

Reactions: JMike and LESTER

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was in your shoes 2 years ago my mom yelled at me and said return it and didn't speak to me for 2 days. 10 guns later she comes to the range with us. Buy snap caps take lessons be careful so you don't hear i told you so.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If it's a money issue, my suggestion is to think about it and exactly what you need. After purchasing my first firearm, Basic and CHL classes, Range time and Ammo. Holster fees for licenses. I spent about $1000.00 in the first three months i owned the firearm. The gun itself was $399.00 NIB. So weigh your choices. If your still totally living with Mom & Dad (GRATIS) and spending their money, I'd wait awhile. Especially if you can't convince them that firearm ownership is a great responsibility, but gives that extra added safety of knowing you have a form of protection vs a vile and evil world. GOOD LUCK on your quest !

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Well first off Welcome to the forums.

Well until you ARE 21 it will be illegal for you to personally purchase a handgun. 2nd while living under mommy & daddy's roof I don't care how old you are you must abide by their rules, if that means no firearms in the home so be it or move and stand on your own two feet and purchase what you want with your own funds as the laws allow. It sounds like you probably don't have any real experience with firearms in general so I would HIGHLY suggest getting some safety training by a person well versed in firearm safety and teaching responsible firearm ownership.

Reactions: JMike

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Good advice and I agree!

But, believe it or not, there still are places in the US where an 18 year old can legally buy and own a pistol. They just can't conceal carry. (Mississippi and probably a few other states).

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
But, believe it or not, there still are places in the US where an 18 year old can legally buy........a pistol
Just not from a FFL.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Parents house = Parents rules

If you have the "financial resources" to buy guns, then you can afford a cheap apartment. Man up bro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone for the awesome advice and warm welcome to the forum! I think it best to just wait for now as it is not feasible to move out of the house and get my own place at this time.

I have thought of one other question that had slipped my mind earlier. As I said I am a college student but I am also a Army ROTC cadet and I will commission into the US Army in a year and a half. Is their anything to know about being a gun-owner and on active-duty? I have heard it can be easier to obtain certain permits/licenses, etc.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It depends on the state, but in Texas it is easier to get a carry license with your military firearms qualification paperwork.

One thing about military bases and firearms is that if you can't have the firearm physically in the barracks/junior officers quarters. It needs to be kept off base until you either live in military base housing or move off base, which is a lot easier for O's (in the Air Force at least). In my three years in the barracks I had to keep my guns at a buddys house.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought my first rifle at 18... I wasn't sneaky about it but neither was a outright yelling about it. It was months of searching, research, and saving. I worked an extra 2 days a week just so I didn't feel the cost bite once i purchased it. My mother didn't like the fact that I wanted a rifle and also would have told me no if I had asked. That's why I didn't ask, I told her I had purchased a rifle, "after many hours of consideration and research and if you don't like it I'm sorry". She still to this day doesn't understand why I like them or why I now have 3. I don't expect her to either, but it never was an issue she understood that I was responsible enough to have one and wouldn't do anything stupid. If its something that will cause a big issue I wouldn't do it, but if your'e a good kid and your parents never get after you for anything I would stir the pot a little. That being said only if you truly are a responsible adult about it. Do go and take classes and learn your handgun inside and out, and while your'e at it get your CCW because its just better to have and not need than to need and not have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts