FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
marrandy said:
Well, 3-days later, I finally get a reply from Bob Ailes.

Contact our Part's Department @800-635-1321

Will try Monday.

A pity they couldn't send me the part numbers, items, price list I requested.

I'll update you all.

Regards...Martin
maybe you could share part numbers and prices if you get them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
marrandy said:
Well, 3-days later, I finally get a reply from Bob Ailes.

Contact our Part's Department @800-635-1321

Will try Monday.

A pity they couldn't send me the part numbers, items, price list I requested.

I'll update you all.

Regards...Martin
Same response that I received a month or so ago.

I would appreciate a copy of a parts list if someone receives one.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
192 Posts
As far as I know, they don't release their parts list to the public, but they were very capable of finding the part numbers I needed when I simply described what I needed. My guess is that they have an exploded diagram of all the parts comprising the weapon, because I was able to describe the shape/appearance of the parts without knowing what they are officially called.

Shipment of the parts was quick--you can rest easy. Getting parts for the FS2000 and the PS90 appears to be very easy, if you've got your credit card handy!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think that it's a matter of being HARD to do...

If you look at the practices of most other industries (such as the musical instrument, electronics, and computer industries, which I have decades of experience in), very few manufacturers publish their parts lists and diagrams to the public. They typically only provide them to authorized dealers, if that.

This is to deter the competition from reverse-engineering products without having to purchase a product to disassemble.

Trust me on this--copycatting happens flagrantly. I work at a drum shop. Every year, when the NAMM industry trade show comes around, foreign manufacturers stop by the NAMM show booths with cameras and take meticulous photos of every new product they see. Then, the next year, they usually have a knockoff of the product available for sale at their own NAMM show booths.

The copycatting is so in-your-face that sometimes you want to punch the guy who stole your idea.

Now, imagine if parts lists and diagrams were easy to get? They'd be able to save the trip from overseas to take photos and just download the diagrams.

(Please note, this stealing of ideas is not restricted to overseas manufacturers by any means. Truth Custom Drums, a US-based operation, asked for a factory tour of Orange County Drum and Percussion a few years ago. One year later, they had rip-off drums for sale at a fraction of the price. I'm friends with the guys over at OCDP and was royally pissed to see the blatant copies of their drums. I've also helped Brady Drums from Australia take on two copycat companies. A third has popped up recently.)

So you can see why FN is keeping the parts list under wraps...

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Dchang0,

I hear what you are saying. I think the issue here is that until recently FN has not supplied replacement parts to the public. It appears that they are starting to do that now.

Now, I don't think FN or any company/manufacturer has to supply or make available a dimensionally correct set of "blue prints", to show a part to reference to a part number so someone could replace a part.

Just need a drawing thats reasonable for identification only. Lots of gun owners manuals I have have a breakdown view of the gun with references to part numbers for replacement. These drawings have no detail to be able to make some thing from it.

There are patent rights, and I don't think anyone here is asking to get anything more than what I describe to get replacement parts. Since this is a different design, I'm sure that FN won't start to supply anything like that anyway to protect thier interests, with the patents.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Spare parts.

I would not mind having a spare part or two. (The charging handle, and a spare Switch would be a good idea.. (Wrap them up in a cotton cloth, and then bag them in the "compartment" space under the hammer group would be perfect.)

I've read that the switch can become broken, and the charging handle replacment is also a possible deal if "HK slap's are used regularly... At least that's what's being said. (I have not broken one single part on my FS2k, and they seem pretty robust actually.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts