FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my new PBR and am going to start the reloading process. My dad has been reloading for his 22-250 and our handguns, but never .308. Any words of wisdom on starting points?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
12,119 Posts
EX_CATM said:
Just bought my new PBR and am going to start the reloading process. My dad has been reloading for his 22-250 and our handguns, but never .308. Any words of wisdom on starting points?

Thanks.
Too many variables.

Research, research, research.

Suggest that you contact the powder manufacture (once you decide on a powder) for load data.

Most if not all powder manufacturers have a ballistics technician on the payroll that will answer your questions concerning THEIR powder. There is tons of data out there for .308s.

Try here: http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=LWMHEHseEa&catid=92

Its a good starting point.

·
Registered
475 Posts
read the ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier, and then buy a bunch of reloading manuals. I too am just starting to reload, right now i'm just acquiring tools and components so i can begin soon

·
Registered
49 Posts
horse9640 is correct! the hornady book is good, be sure to read the first part of the book not just the load tables. :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
reloading

Wow. No help what so ever Huh? I'm new here but most folks would at least give a favorite power for theirs and maybe a low starting load. I've just reloaded some for my new 20" PBR but haven't made it to the range yet. I researched it and loaded some with three different powders. Vargant, RL15, and IMR 4895. These should three good choices. I hope to get to the range this Thursday or Friday. I'll let you know more then.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
One heavy hitter of info that could help isn't here. Maybe he'll tune in.

Reloading is a trial and fine tuning. Every gun is different.

You need to look at what range you shooting, bullet weight, finding a powder that works the best for the range, bullet weight, and barrel length.

Again trial and error to find what works the best for your rifle.

I understand you are asking this queston to get a "base line" to start off with.

Wish I could help, haven't reloaded rifle cal's yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can check the FNAR forum right below the bolt action forum.
lots of reload data for 7.62. Same length, and rifling, but the fnar has a chrome lined bore.

My best load data - Hornady ammo! (fly tying already takes up the space i would use for reloading...)

joel

·
Registered
3 Posts
My PBR likes SMK 168 gr and 40.5 gr of VARGET. But recommending a reload is like telling a guy if blondes, brunettes or redheads are better. Each rifle has its own likes and dislikes and you can't "force" a reload to perform well in it.

In other words, the answer to "what reload for my PBR" is a silly question. The rifle will like what the rifle likes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

This link has a lot of information, including the Sierra load map as a .pdf. I am using 41.5 of IMR 4064 and 168 SMK in a 20" PBR, with good results.

I am a beginning reloader, though a long-time shooter. I just wish I started reloading earlier. I don't think I save any money (LOL), but I do get much better ammunition than I can purchase for the same money. It has given a whole new dimension to shooting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts