FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up a Pelican 1720 case, and was wondering where I can get the custom foam piece? I just took out the middle one to make it fit, but I really want to have a custom foam piece to make it nice and snug.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It only takes 10 minutes with an exacto knife to cut it. Mark it with a sharpie, smash it down as you smoothly cut it. Easy cheese. If you screw it up you can order another one, but the material is very easy to cut. Some use an electric fillet knife.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Sorry what hat I meant was any precut ones for our rifle.
There are no precut foams for the scar. You have to do it yourself. Get a foam hot wire cutter (they are like $20-30 at your local craft store) and a white/silver marker. Mark the outline of your rifle on the foam, then cut it out. Takes like 10 minutes.

Reactions: American Infidel

·
Registered
41 Posts
I laid my SCAR in the position I wanted it, the used Blue painters tape to outline it. Once that was done, I used an electric cutting knife. It does a really good job, and makes quick work of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I cut mine out by laying my M&P 10 on the foam in the position I wanted then outlined it with a white Stabilo pencil. Placed the foam piece to be cut on a bench. Used a jigsaw with a short fine blade to cut approximately 1/4" inside the outline. The foam where it was being cut was hanging off the bench so the blade didn't interfere with the bench. Came out perfect. Gun fits nice and tight. You have to use contact cement on the reverse side of the cut out piece to bond it to the bottom layer.

I know of guys who tried to use an electric knife (as pelican suggests) with poor results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, I opted to position my gun with the optics upward toward the handle of the Pelican case. Just my own preference. The video above doesn't mention anything about securing the cut layer to the bottom layer. If you don't do this and your fit is tight, which is what you want, you will pull up the cut layer when retrieving your gun. He also mentioned that he has a problem maintaining a 90º angle with a electric knife. That's why I believe using a jigsaw would be your best bet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also, I opted to position my gun with the optics upward toward the handle of the Pelican case. Just my own preference. The video above doesn't mention anything about securing the cut layer to the bottom layer. If you don't do this and your fit is tight, which is what you want, you will pull up the cut layer when retrieving your gun. He also mentioned that he has a problem maintaining a 90º angle with a electric knife. That's why I believe using a jigsaw would be your best bet.
I have plans to go the same route with my foam cutout; jigsaw and positioning. Although it looks better with rifle presented in a normal attitude with case open, putting optics towards handle makes me feel better when transporting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly, Even though the gun fits nice and tight the natural position of the pelican case is with the handle upwards. Hence, optic towards the top.

Just took a pic of my project. Unfortunately, living in the Emperor's state I'm going to have to buy a new insert and re-do it when I make the gun "compliant".

I also made 10 cut outs for 10 round magazines. I can stack 2 in each enabling me to carry 20 in the case (empty of course). What I forgot to do was cut out an area for a sling and misc. items.

You can see the tracing outline with the Stabilo pencil. Stabilo is water soluble so it erases with a wet rag. You can find them at an art supply store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts