FN Herstal Firearms banner

Petition to Liberty Ammo

11K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  Buffman 
#1 ·
Alright. New guy here. I am trying to drum-up support for a lightweight, aluminum round similar to the Civil Defense lineup offered by Liberty (Liberty Ammunition Lead Free Ammo | Liberty Ammunition) in 9MM, .40, .45ACP and 10MM but for the 5.7X28.

Something in the 20-30 grain range which I'd postulate at ~2,500 FPS. I think this is what the Five-SeveN pistol really needs to realize its potential as a defensive handgun.

I have contacted Liberty Ammunition as to the possibility and I think that they may be open to the idea of working up a 5.7 line of products if enough interest is generated.

So, that's what I'm looking to do here. I want to demonstrate to Liberty that there is, indeed, tremendous market potential in a balls-to-the-wall 5.7 load. If this concept is something that you'd be interested in, share your interest in the form of a comment below. If not, please chime in as to why this is a non-starter in your opinion. For my own part, this is a product I would purchase. Having used Liberty's 9MM and .45ACP offerings, I am very excited about the idea of a zippy little aluminum 5.7 round. What say you, internet?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I can't locate any 'civilian' ammo at above ~2,000FPS from the Five-SeveN. Unless you consider the Gunbroker.com auctions for $100 boxes of 25 of the SM4 EA ammo an option... which I do not... $4 a round is a price I will never pay.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
If the EA SM4 stuff were actually available at non-vulture prices, I guess 2,500 FPS wouldn't be so elusive out of the pistol. Oh well. I'm going to leave this up and see if that interest I thought might exist ever comes to fruition.

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
You'll be hard pressed to get 2500 fps in the FSN. If you go too light then the gun may not cycle.

The biggest challenger for Liberty or any manufacturer; Virgin 5.7x28mm brass. There are already copper loads in the 34-40gr that mimic what the Civil Defense stuff does.

Elite Ammunition's SM4 seems to be pulling 2,400-ish FPS here. If an all aluminum projectile were used, that could be matched and possibly exceeded. I'm surprised you guys have been able to buy from EA. I've checked their site a couple dozen times and I've NEVER seen anything in stock.

Anyhow, as to what I am trying to accomplish that 'sporting' ammo cannot, I'm not sure that there's a concise answer to that question. Mostly, I do not care for the way FN ammo seems to be neutered. Within the bounds of what is safe, I think that 5.7 shooters ought to be able to maximize the potential of their weapons and ammo. My *feeling* is that the 5.7X28 is capable of a whole lot more than the 1650FPS we're getting out of the American Eagle stuff, and more even than the FN stuff which tops out at 2,100 for the SS195/198.

I view the Five-SeveN as a formidable defensive side arm. That capability can only be exceeded by better ammo. Put simply, speed is what I want, and more of it. Speed eats barriers. Speed flies flat and retains energy to greater distance. Speed rocks!

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Specifically, the S4M stuff. I'm not really interested in loads that sport fundamentally unimproved velocity over what FN is cranking out at nearly $2 per round. Or is the S4M dead? I've NEVER seen it in stock. Ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.