FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a gunshow, I picked up a gun I had never seen before, though some people know about them. It is an FI Industries .380 caliber "mini 1911-ish" handgun. Metal frame, wood grips, looks about like a half sized 1911. I probably gave too much for it, but it is a great size for a summer conceal carry, when size matters. Only holds 6 rounds, though.

The serial number is CPA006xxx . . . . the CPA part standing for Colt Pony Automatic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congrats! Can you give a pic?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on running home for a few minutes and will take a few snap shots and post them within the hour.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't really tell from the pics all that well, but the frame's color has more of a brown-ish color to it than the typcial blue, which is on the slide.

Here are the pics:

Size comparison between it and my Five Seven

·
Registered
412 Posts
Never seen one. Looks interesting. What country was this made in?
Be sure and give us a range report.

What price range did this fall in?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never seen one. Looks interesting. What country was this made in?
Be sure and give us a range report.

What price range did this fall in?
FI Industries is a company based in the United States. In fact, it has "Washington D.C." on the side. I doubt they're still in that location, if they're even still around.

At the range, it shot very well. Minimal recoil. Only shot 50 Remington UMC junk ammo, but it did pretty well. I plan on seeing how it handles some Golden Sabers, probably on Thursday.

It was in the mid 400's, but I think some have gotten them for cheaper. I admit to being an uninformed shopper, when I bought it, but I'm still glad I have it.

It may not be the BEST for conceal carry, but I plan on using it for that function anyway, since it has such a small print.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's Great!
It is all in what your comfortable with and hanging on you!
I will have to look this company up!
Thanks for the pics & info!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It looks like it's a little bigger than a Colt Mustang, do you have any experience with one to make a comparison?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Cool find! How does it break down as compared toa 1911?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have any other 1911 style pistols. This one breaks down by moving a slide notch far back enough that the safety catchs it. The slide release pops out, then the slide. The odd thing is that you have to push the recoil spring out enough to unscrew part of it from itself, which will release the spring. There are two small rings that have to be retained, one for the end of the gun, and the other as a buffer between where the two pieces screw into each other. The front of the gun, then, must be turned 1/4 counter clockwise and removed from the slide. The barrel can come out now. . . . . . . . . . hmmmm, maybe I should take pictures instead. My explaination may be a bit hard to understand. :oops:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't have any other 1911 style pistols. This one breaks down by moving a slide notch far back enough that the safety catchs it. The slide release pops out, then the slide. The odd thing is that you have to push the recoil spring out enough to unscrew part of it from itself, which will release the spring. There are two small rings that have to be retained, one for the end of the gun, and the other as a buffer between where the two pieces screw into each other. The front of the gun, then, must be turned 1/4 counter clockwise and removed from the slide. The barrel can come out now. . . . . . . . . . hmmmm, maybe I should take pictures instead. My explaination may be a bit hard to understand. :oops:
Sounds like standard 1911 breakdown.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay. It seemed a bit different than how my other guns broke down, and when I did it the first time, I was not all that excited about how it was done, but the second time went better, and I found out a few things about the gun I hadn't known before, so I find take down and reassembly to be okay now.

By the way, I believe this gun is the same size as the Colt Mustang.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This is the gun Colt used as the original Colt Pony. When the deal with FI ended, it was marketed by FI and later Iver Johnson. A small all steel locked breech 380 that handles exactly like a GM 45.
Just did a quick google search.

:cool:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I think it was the Colt Mustang that was like the mini 1911. The Pony was a DAO gun. I used to have the Pony - the mustang had been discontinued by that point.

I got rid of the Pony after Colt replaced the slide once - the metal around where the slide stop meets the slide started to peen. The replacement slide was starting to do it again. Otherwise, I would have kept the gun.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Mom has a Colt Pony .380. Most were made in Spain, though they were stamped with US cities, some had Baltimore, some had DC. You didn't get taken on the price depending on the condition as many Colt enthusiasts consider them collector's items. Especially if you got it with the original box and owners manual. If not, $400 still isn't too bad.
They are still pretty rare as there weren't a whole lot imported with the Colt name and they aren't made anymore.
Hold on to it and keep it in good shape. You should be able to hold your value with it.
It was the last pistol my dad ever bought and it was an anniversary present to mom. Her's has a nickel plated slide with mother of custom mother of pearl grips. I think she's fired hers once.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Erica, yes it came with the box and paperwork. It is in pretty good shape, overall. Unique and a conversation starter. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts