FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As soon as I saw this thing I was pumped...kind of. I had been into my dealer several times asking for this so as soon as he got the chance, he ordered it just for me.
At first glimpse, FN quality was imminent and the ergos looked great. I picked it up and it was light and definitely compact. I was hooked and purchased it without a second thought. I took it home and compared it to my FNS 40 and my regular FNS 9 and that's where the excitement seems to go away. It really isn't any smaller than my full size FNS 9 or 40 and it actually fits right inside of the holsters that I use for those two guns. Maybe the pics will help.
I have yet to shoot it so the range report is going to be delayed but based off of the comparison......how much different could it really shoot? The trigger does seem to better than my full size FNS's.

Slide to slide of the FNS 40 and the FNS 9C

FNS 9C on top of the FNS 40 with no mags.

FNS 40 inside my worn out Galco that just happens to be one of my favorite holsters.

Muzzle of the FNS 40 in the same Galco holster.

FNS 9C in the same holster. It fits great and looks great but is it really that much smaller?

Muzzle of the FNS 9C in the same holster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. I shot both the 9 and 40 compact at the AcuSport Convention. I was very surprised at how little difference in recoil there was in the compacts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The grip is definitely shorter and that is the biggest difference. Wasn't expecting it to be vastly smaller or thinner. With the flush 12 round mag, my pinky hangs off. The grip of the pistol is usually what I have the hardest time concealing with the thickness being a comfort thing (but these are thin enough that I don't have much of an issue there)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The 9c is cool. But what Dan says sums it up. It's a compact not a sub compact. Perfect example would be a single stack XDMS.

Carry it for a while. I think you may see the value in the shorter grip.

Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 9c is cool. But what Dan says sums it up. It's a compact not a sub compact. Perfect example would be a single stack XDMS.

Carry it for a while. I think you may see the value in the shorter grip.

Good luck
There is definitely value in the shorter grip but with the pinky extension, it's not much smaller than my full size with a flat base plate. It will be my new carry gun for sure, though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What does the pinky extension get you on this model? Its not a +1 is it? just an ergo grip?If they were made of metal id use is as a skull basher when out of ammo

·
Registered
64 Posts
As soon as my LGS gets an FNS 9C in, I'm trading my FNS 9 with a manual safety, in for the new gun. The grip is the reason I can't summer carry the regular FNS. Now with the compact, there shouldn't be any trouble carrying it in the summer.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
There is definitely value in the shorter grip but with the pinky extension, it's not much smaller than my full size with a flat base plate. It will be my new carry gun for sure, though.
It felt a little weird to me when I started shooting a LCR with the whole pinky finger thing hanging in the breeze. Got quite used to it after a half dozen or so range sessions. Most everyone I have spoken to has had about the same results. Were here for ya man! Go out there and give it hell. Chances are you will like it when you get a few hundred rounds down the tube. So, ditch the finger extension to take full advantage of the shorter grip and get 'er done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does the pinky extension get you on this model? Its not a +1 is it? just an ergo grip?If they were made of metal id use is as a skull basher when out of ammo
No extra round from the pinky extension. It just offers more grip area. I think with the 9mm I might be able to get away with the flat base plate and 12 round mag. I will only know once I get to the range.

It felt a little weird to me when I started shooting a LCR with the whole pinky finger thing hanging in the breeze. Got quite used to it after a half dozen or so range sessions. Most everyone I have spoken to has had about the same results. Were here for ya man! Go out there and give it hell. Chances are you will like it when you get a few hundred rounds down the tube. So, ditch the finger extension to take full advantage of the shorter grip and get 'er done.
I will give her hell for sure. I was thinking the same thing that once I get her to the range, she will be a new favorite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts