FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my handgun yesterday. I checked it over and found that the magazines would not drop clear of the mag well. I functioned it for about 3 hours trying to break in the mag release button. Judging by the drag marks on the magazine its hanging up on the release mechanism. The impatient side of me is considering taking it apart and grinding some material off the mag release. The more reasonable side of me says to send it back after I put some rounds through it to make sure it is otherwise functional.

I see where there is issue with people having problems seating the mag, anyone have issues with the mag not falling free?

Obviously disappointed in the QC of the handgun.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My first FNX 45 (stainless) had that issue, well it would briefly hang up but it would then fall free. After many many mag drops and insertions, mine no longer does it. I like the FNX 45 so much I have a 3rd (Tactical FDE) on layaway. I would give it a chance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This project has been anything but smooth. The RMR 07 I bought did not have the base with it, and it looked used, so that went back to the LGS I got it from. I get the FNX and its jacked up. I am wanting use this as a duty gun so I want I right and I don't really want to run it hoping that it fixes itself, nor do I think I should have to take a rotozip to a $1K plus handgun. I do like the feel of the handgun, ergonomics are good. Mine is FDE as well.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I carry my blued FNX 45 off duty. I hate to see you having some issues with your FNX 45T. Maybe call FNH? I hope it works out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This project has been anything but smooth. The RMR 07 I bought did not have the base with it, and it looked used, so that went back to the LGS I got it from. I get the FNX and its jacked up. I am wanting use this as a duty gun so I want I right and I don't really want to run it hoping that it fixes itself, nor do I think I should have to take a rotozip to a $1K plus handgun. I do like the feel of the handgun, ergonomics are good. Mine is FDE as well.
Here's an option. Send it to us. If this is your duty gun, I will do a reliability package on it for you for $50.00 + $6 return shipping and also fix the hanging mag issue.

This includes:
-Polish Feed ramp
-Dehorn barrel throat
-Polish breech face
-Polish underside of slide
-Fix hanging mags

This package typically runs $200.00

If interested - send me an email to [email protected].

CERAKOTE INDUSTRIAL FINISHERS.

Your other option is to send it back for repair - which takes weeks.

Cheers,

-Thermallator

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i'm confused as to what base you are talking about with the RMR. i have 3 of them and neither came with a base. the mounting base came with the FNX45 in the extra parts that came with the gun

·
Registered
3 Posts
The RMR does not ship with a base The Tactical comes with two bases, one for a adopter and one for the RMR (and the differences between the two and the procedure for removing the covering plate and mounting plate and sight iin the manual is one of the best I have seen in many years of shooting.) Hell, they even provide screws!

I did did the whole deal and right sighted the RMR as co witness to the iron sights in five minutes.

i suggest you look at your manual and check the compartment on the lower right of the case to find your bases etc.

David

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RMR does not ship with a base The Tactical comes with two bases, one for a adopter and one for the RMR (and the differences between the two and the procedure for removing the covering plate and mounting plate and sight iin the manual is one of the best I have seen in many years of shooting.) Hell, they even provide screws!

I did did the whole deal and right sighted the RMR as co witness to the iron sights in five minutes.

i suggest you look at your manual and check the compartment on the lower right of the case to find your bases etc.

David
I will look into that. I did not have the handgun when I got the RMR in, I saw the plates in the gun case. I want them to swap out the RMR anyway since it looked like someone was making elevation and windage adjustments with a jackhammer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sorry.. i wrote a big huge response and somehow lost it. I'll make it short:
A LEO I met at range told me that shooting too well in quals, and having custom equip, is bad news, because if u ever hit an innocent (by accident), you (and dept) will be subject to much greater scrutiny, upon review and by others involved. Seems stupid but this is something LEO was told, and he told me. I am no LEO so what do I know, but just passing this on.
I am sure there are others here to comment better on subject, if there even is something to it.

Good luck and i LOVE my FNX-45!!!!!

-Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I can say that when someone is shot either accidently or on purpose, there is usually a lawyer who will try and throw whatever is available against the wall and see what will stick. If the argument comes down to such things as shooting too well, that's a good sign that the other side has nothing. On a side note, qualifications are typically pass/fail with no actual score. So its impossible to over shoot a qualification. I have been in a shooting which resulted in the death of the bad guy. I used a personally owed Colt 20" AR with an aftermarket heavy fluted barrel, and an ACOG optic. The only question reference equipment brought up was given the advantage the ACOG provided during the fire fight, why doesn't the agency provide them (the ACOG is mine as well).

·
Registered
47 Posts
sort of makes a case for (my thoughts, too) about having the best tools for the job. I *LOVE* my ACOG, too, btw (with the RMR). I wouldn't trade it.

Glad you are ok, and the bad guy is not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
sorry.. i wrote a big huge response and somehow lost it. I'll make it short:
A LEO I met at range told me that shooting too well in quals, and having custom equip, is bad news, because if u ever hit an innocent (by accident), you (and dept) will be subject to much greater scrutiny, upon review and by others involved. Seems stupid but this is something LEO was told, and he told me. I am no LEO so what do I know, but just passing this on.
I am sure there are others here to comment better on subject, if there even is something to it.

Good luck and i LOVE my FNX-45!!!!!

-Dave
coughcoughbulls**tcoughcough:smile:
Shooting too well in quals opens you up for further scrutiny?:lol: That's a load of crap. If a poor shot got some sort of pass due to his lack of skill vs a good shot, we'd all be throwing shots all over the targets during quals. As far as "custom equipment", such as a red dot sight on your duty weapon, the litmus test is whether or not you can articulate the need/benefit to the modification. In the case of the MRDS, the great majority of us already run some sort of red dot optic on our patrol rifles, it isn't much of a stretch to justify it's use on a handgun. I've been carrying an FNP45T with a Trijicon RMR02 on duty for a couple of years now with with zero issues and perfect qualifying scores.
Also, IMO, there is a very important added benefit to using a MRDS on your service pistol and that is the fact that you are able to stay focused on your target at all times. Since you're superimposing the dot on the target there's no need to look at your front sight and you're able to give the target your full attention.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah it definitely seemed a little unusual of a story. He did ask to see my range permit/hunting lic ... (in PA you need one at public ranges) But was nice guy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
coughcoughbulls**tcoughcough:smile:
Shooting too well in quals opens you up for further scrutiny?:lol: That's a load of crap. If a poor shot got some sort of pass due to his lack of skill vs a good shot, we'd all be throwing shots all over the targets during quals. As far as "custom equipment", such as a red dot sight on your duty weapon, the litmus test is whether or not you can articulate the need/benefit to the modification. In the case of the MRDS, the great majority of us already run some sort of red dot optic on our patrol rifles, it isn't much of a stretch to justify it's use on a handgun. I've been carrying an FNP45T with a Trijicon RMR02 on duty for a couple of years now with with zero issues and perfect qualifying scores.
Also, IMO, there is a very important added benefit to using a MRDS on your service pistol and that is the fact that you are able to stay focused on your target at all times. Since you're superimposing the dot on the target there's no need to look at your front sight and you're able to give the target your full attention.
What duty holster are you using?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picked up my handgun yesterday. I checked it over and found that the magazines would not drop clear of the mag well. I functioned it for about 3 hours trying to break in the mag release button. Judging by the drag marks on the magazine its hanging up on the release mechanism. The impatient side of me is considering taking it apart and grinding some material off the mag release. The more reasonable side of me says to send it back after I put some rounds through it to make sure it is otherwise functional.

I see where there is issue with people having problems seating the mag, anyone have issues with the mag not falling free?

Obviously disappointed in the QC of the handgun.
I had the same problem. Most of the time the mag would drop down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and just sit there. Occasionally, it would drop free when I released the button. First, I ordered a spare release button from Midwest Gun Works since it said works for any FNX models only to find out that it was really FNX 9 and 40 models and that the 45 was different. So I decide to send the gun in and have the professionals look at my $1k handgun before I used a dremel on it. Sent it in on Dec 10 and got it back Jan 2 (or I would have if I had been home, FN did not send me any type of communication to expect a firearm being shipped to my house so UPS kept it for a while longer). I opened the box expecting the mag to drop free and .... it acted exactly like it did before. It might have been a little better, but I could still hold the magazine in place by depressing the button and pressing and releasing the button just right only had the mag drop free maybe 50% of time instead of 20%. I thought that I had described the problem and that I would like the mag to drop free when the button was depressed well enough for solution to be understood. I called them to complain this morning, and they agreed that it was abnormal and wanted me to send it in again but seemed to indicate that push and release was the normal for mags to drop free. Anyway, I fixed it last night with a dremel, so I just had them record my complaint about the service. I say all this just to point out that sending it in may not be your best option (which is disappointing).

Now that I have fixed it, my mags drop free when the button is depressed like every other gun I had. I will post some pictures when I take it back apart to put some black oxide on the part to help prevent rust.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts