FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dilemma for a lot of people on here, or perhaps it's not- making the decision on which gun you decide to use as your primary home defense weapon.

In the past, I was always happy with just my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Then Glock 23 with night sights. Then I moved to a .FNX-45 Tactical. After my neighbor's son was a the victim of an armed home invasion (in another part of town), I picked my AR15 (16" version) due to the fact that a lot of violent home invaders are now using body armor.

Recently I purchased a TAVOR which is super compact (better mobility but I am less familiar wit the platform as of now) with the power of the 5.56 round. On top of that, my KSG shotgun arrives in a few days. I also have a tax-stamped SBR 10.5" AR15 that I am extremely comfortable with.

There are a lot of good options here, but the question I pose to you- what would you pick and why? The newer platforms that I am not used to, such as the Tavor and KSG, I don't believe it will take more than a few range sessions to feel comfortable with them in a stressful situation.

There are just too many good options, and I'm looking for some dialogue on this subject if you are willing. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think it depends on each individual's situation. For example we don't have any children and even if a round were to penetrate the exterior walls of our home it is unlikely that it would make it into an adjacent home. So we keep a loaded 12 gauge in a hidden compartment by the bed. With the distances that we have in our house the buckshot won't have much time to spread out even with a completely open choke so it is basically a pump action rifle with a ton of knockdown power. My carry weapon is either on me or on my night stand when sleeping. I know it inside and out and train with it the most. When it comes to adrenaline and unfamiliar situations that last thing I want to worry about is a weapon system that I'm not 100% confident in, so that is the first thing I will be reaching for. We also have a multi layered system of motion activated lights around the exterior, our alarm system alerts us from both panels every time an exterior door is opened even if the alarm is disarmed, and all the exterior doors are steel with reinforced jams and hinges. My line of thought is to make my home as unappealing of a target as possible and if someone does try their luck, I want enough in their way to buy myself as much time as possible to asses what is going on and react. All that and an 80lb pitbull that alerts at anything going on outside the home.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it depends on each individual's situation. For example we don't have any children and even if a round were to penetrate the exterior walls of our home it is unlikely that it would make it into an adjacent home. So we keep a loaded 12 gauge in a hidden compartment by the bed. With the distances that we have in our house the buckshot won't have much time to spread out even with a completely open choke so it is basically a pump action rifle with a ton of knockdown power. My carry weapon is either on me or on my night stand when sleeping. I know it inside and out and train with it the most. When it comes to adrenaline and unfamiliar situations that last thing I want to worry about is a weapon system that I'm not 100% confident in, so that is the first thing I will be reaching for. We also have a multi layered system of motion activated lights around the exterior, our alarm system alerts us from both panels every time an exterior door is opened even if the alarm is disarmed, and all the exterior doors are steel with reinforced jams and hinges. My line of thought is to make my home as unappealing of a target as possible and if someone does try their luck, I want enough in their way to buy myself as much time as possible to asses what is going on and react. All that and an 80lb pitbull that alerts at anything going on outside the home.
Sounds like you have this thought out pretty well!

I also have a security camera system, house alarm, and consider my house a "harder target" than most in the neighborhood. I don't have kids, and my neighbors aren't close enough to be a concern for any of my weapons to penetrate through walls and reach inside their home.

A few years ago my neighbors had burglars that entered their home while they were asleep (Husband, wife, teenage daughter and son) and they spent about 20 minutes inside their home picking stuff to steal… the bedroom doors were closed and they took the time to unhook the game system, unhook the home computer, etc., all within feet of the bedrooms. (we know how long they were in there due to my home security cameras picking them up). My other neighbor's son was the victim of an armed home invasion at another location in town, they came in with guns drawn, immediately shot their dog, and held them at gunpoint. (They had been home a little while and left their garage door open, the intruders pulled up in the driveway and rushed in through the garage door into their home). While he's not sure if these particular intruders had body armor, there is an increasing trend for these home invaders to have body armor on while conducting these violent invasions. After I talked to him about this, I switched to my AR for my home defense weapon (from my GLock/FN .45).

The main reason I posted is that I recently picked up a Tavor, and now a KSG, and I feel that these are also good options for home defense… and as such, there's a lot of good options… just have to figure out what's the best for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have children so I have to keep most of my guns locked up including my duty weapon which is in a small gun safe on top of the fridge. I do have a family picture above my night stand that hides a HK USP Compact .40 with a tac-light and extra mag inside of it that the kids think is just a picture. My house layout is pretty open but our family emergency plan is to get to our bonus room upstairs which we call the "Alamo". The room is located close enough to everyone’s room and I can provide cover until everyone can get there, it is one way up and down the staircase is walled as well. Once up there my wife knows the code to my gun closet. Immediately the Mossberg is there loaded without one in the chamber. I want the intruder to hear the rack of that 12 gauge. If that sound does not make them run then I know we have a fight on our hands. The first round is bird shot incase my wife or older son has to shoot. The second is a hollow point slug with 3 .38 buck shots, the third is 00 buck, then slug staggered in between. At that point if we would have to get into the safe which is in the closet there is a huge assortment of weapons but I doubt we would need to get into that unless China invades my home. In the Alamo which doubles as my man cave we have a landline and an emergency roll up ladder in case we need to escape out the 2nd floor window. We have an alarm system and security lights as well but I feel most confident about our family plan. When my kids make us practice our fire drill which school encourages I make them practice our "Intruder" drill. They love it and I want it to be muscle memory. With all the lights and alarm signs in my yard I know that if someone comes in my house they are part of the not f'ing around crew so it will need to go both ways.

The reason I leave the Mossberg as the first option is because of the knock down power and jam free reliability. Even if the intruder is wearing a vest the blunt force trauma would break every rib and crush the lungs, and racking that round is a universal language.

Reactions: Gers4Lyfe

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
While I agree that there are few better fight stoppers than a 12ga., there are some things you should take into consideration. I don't know the layout of your house, but think about firing off the 12 in a small room or hallway with no hearing protection. It will be close to a flash bang grenade. You will loose your hearing and eyesight for a period of time and if followup shots are required due to multiple invaders, this could be a real issue. I would suggest your SBR along with a good suppressor is the way to go. That will be my choice once I receive all my stamps. Even a M4 fired without protection will be very unpleasant. Right now I am using a .40 carbine. This is the quietest weapon I own short of a .22. Most all power gets burned before it leaves the barrel which reduces flash and noise. It's inability to defeat body armor is a concern, but I feel it is my best option at the moment. IF I believe I have time, I keep a pair of active headphones next to my carbine and my 12ga. and will put them on. If it is a shoot or be shot scenario, I will use what is first available and hope for the best.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Agreed as far a the sheer violence of the 12 gauge in a home, however in my home it is not there to clear rooms. It is for my fiancee to hunker down in the bedroom and wait on police. The shotgun is too long to effectively move through my home. I also don't feel comfortable leaving a rifle out in the open even if I'm home. If I'm at the other end of my home and someone comes through the master bedroom window I don't want to involuntarily arm them by having a rifle sitting out. I could keep it where the shotgun is but that weapon isn't really for me and my fiancee is more comfortable with the shotgun over any of our rifles. I keep my carry weapon with me at all times in our out of the house as it's not feasible for me to carry a suppressed sbr around with me all the time. I'm also too lazy to go get it out of the safe every night and put it away every morning. My father has been a police officer since before I was born and was in the service before that, so my entire life there has been a "what if plan". When I bought my first handgun it wasn't long until we were at the PD's shooting complex. Over the years I've had a lot of time hanging out with my old man and other officers that were happy to go over how to move through a building and let me participate in some of their drills. I'm familiar with shooting in tight spaces such as hallways and bedrooms. Over time I've been flash banged, OC sprayed, shot with simunition, tazed, and CS gassed (not all by choice, but they sure thought the gas was funny). I'm digressing though, I'm competent with my weapon system of choice and confident in the plan we have. While it may not be ideal in everyones eyes it is my setup of choice because it is what I have trained with the most. In my opinion the weapon system is a smaller part of the equation than the person running it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I love the KSG, but would not trust it to work 100% under stress unless you learn its quirks and build up a LOT of muscle memory with it. The thing is way easy to short shuck even with a lot of rounds through it. If you want to go shotgun, use a Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870 since they are reliable and functions just as you would expect. If you want the short length of a bullpup, take a look at this (870) kit : http://www.bullpupunlimited.com

I like 17heavy's suggestion, the quieter the better. Life long hearing loss for you and yours is not a joke.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Personally, out of your selection, I'd either go with the shotgun or the pistol. If they have body armor, even the 5.56 green tips wont penetrate lvl 3b. If they are wearing body armor, they're not likely to just keep coming at you unphased. 15 bullets is a lot, and if I dont see blood, I'll aim for the groin/legs and then the throat/face. The 12 gauge will knock them on their ass body armor or not, and while they're on the ground they're going to get a scrotum and face full of buckshot.

Personally, I only have my M1A (44 inches isnt exactly tactical!) and my non tactical fnx45. I DO plan on eventually getting a VEPR 12 and putting a bumpski stock on it, anyone breaks into my house they're going to be a pile of dog food.

Lastly, I eventually want to build a tricked out modernized M1 garand that uses the BAR mags, shorten the barrel and load it up with the .30-06 AP rounds that will defeat lvl 4 body armor and are 100% legal to own and easy to acquire

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I have my Tavor with suppressor configured for home defense. Integrated a bright light on a tape switch for blinding and disorientating effects, not for light. No sense giving away my position. The suppressor so I don't blow out my ears or get startled from the close quarters bang effect.

If you dealing with armed intruders, you need sufficient cover in your home to protect you. You should have several areas that can serve as cover (as opposed to concealment).

You should watch the review of the KSG on Military Arms Channel, it's not pretty. Racking a shotgun gives away your position and is not as intimidating as it makes out in the movies. Theatrics works on teenagers, not professionals and stupid people.

Last item, train in hand-to-hand combat in close quarters. When you don't have your primary or secondary weapon, learn how to disarm hostile(s) with weapons or edge weapons and use your home as a weapon.

In the news recently, there were intruders/robbers impersonating police officers and gain access to a home, handcuffed a father and daughter, and robbed their apartment. This happened in the city next to where I live. Scary, very scary.

Lock up and secure your firearms, ammo and valuables so they are out of sight from plain view and windows for those that are casing your home as a potential target. Your garbage/trash is an excellent way to profile how a person lives and what they may have.

just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good advice guys, thanks.

I am thinking of starting the paperwork for a suppressor for my AR15 / Tavor, I've been wanting to do it but this discussion will push me to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts