FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pics that they could post of the inside grip channel of a modified MIAD grip for the Scar?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Milspec,

I've drafted a good product but for some reason photobucket is down right now. As soon as it comes back up I'll put them into the product and post it here for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Milspec,

I also do not care for the A2 grip as well.

Here is my thought process on this. As I see it you have two options....mod the grip or mod the tang. Modding the gripwill weaken the grip (less cross sectional material left over when done) and you can't use another grip down the road. Mod the grip tang and you can attach almost any grip provided it didn't have a backstrap. The downside is.....if you FUBAR the tang.....your fXXked! So don’t FXXk itup.

For the MIAD grip I had to reprofile the B2 backstrap inorder to make it work. I used a flat file to take the extra material off of the lower grip tang. I rolled the appropriate sized socket in sandpaper and just went slow and fitted often. To reprofile the grip tang make sure you leave enough material and use aflat file and test fit often. Dremel tools are great for taking a lot of material off quickly but you can have an accident fast that you cannot correct and I like to have manual control of the pieceI am working on.

Unmodified Lower

As you can see, there is too much material on the diagonal edge of the grip tang. Approx. 1/8"(grip chip made from Colt 6920)

Check for grip fit often.

Finished

Grip Profile Pics

Note: the only issue I currently have had with this mod is that when I switched over to the Geissele trigger I had to put a very small washer as a spacer on the grip screw so it would not come up to far and hit the trigger bar.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff but I was hoping for a look at a grip that was totally mod'ed for the trigger module. I want to see the flat spot inside of the grip that was filed down.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I checked the bolt provided by Geissele which was the perfect fit for the MOE+. I double checked just to be absolutely certain there were no clearance issues then erring on the side of caution I filed approximately 1/32" or about one thread off the bolt. There is a shelf so-to-speak molded into the lower which the trigger rests on and gives the grip bolt added clearance, I did what I did because I do NOT want any trigger function issues down the road.

Note: the only issue I currently have had with this mod is that when I switched over to the Geissele trigger I had to put a very small washer as a spacer on the grip screw so it would not come up to far and hit the trigger bar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts