FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it today.
I guess most people here already know that the rail is plastic, Euro spec. and sits much lower than the Tactical model.
The scope itself looks rather cheesy but the glass is very good IMO. I like it.
I already own the Tactical model and if I can only keep one it will be the Standard.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

I would like to cram an Aimpoint with a magnifier under that cover. The clean lines of that optic are appealing but the usefulness is almost nonexistent.

What are the differences between that and the regular rail model??
If you get the chance post a side by side of the rails to compare.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had to sign up to comment on this.

I am so glad it is FINALLY here!

A few observations -

That synthetic rail is probably more than sturdy enough to handle any abuse thrown at it. I'm certain it will be just a few weeks before aftermarket aluminum rails are made to replace it for those nay-sayers.

The rail mount looks like a very basic STANAG-style rail. Again, it is just begging for an aftermarket "flat top" replacement mount. Add a tube to fill in the space between aftermarket scopes and the factory dust cover, and presto you have a scope platform ready for any higher-magnification optic you care to stuff in there.

What is the OD of the scope? 1"? Is that mount keyed to the tube, or is it a basic clamshell arrangement that could work with other tubes?

Are these priced the same as the "tactical" flat top model?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rail may infact be STANAG but I already own the tactical model so I don't see a reason to modify the optic model.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go to when you can just buy the Tactical model with the aluminum rail platform and save the extra $200 or so that the optic model costs.

I don't have anything to measure the scope with here but I can tell you the scope is epoxied in a clamshell (claw) type scope mount.

I'll try and get scope measuremants later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes that's a good point. I personally like the idea of a scope cover for the many reasons it can help - snag-free; slight amount of protection against knocks and dings; moderate amount of weather protection.

Perhaps the better question is, can replacement scope covers be purchased separately?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that's a good point. I personally like the idea of a scope cover for the many reasons it can help - snag-free; slight amount of protection against knocks and dings; moderate amount of weather protection.

Perhaps the better question is, can replacement scope covers be purchased separately?
I've already looked into purchasing a replacement scope cover from FN.

I was told that it could be a year before they have any replacemant parts.

But I see what you mean now and the idea of having a scope cover for the tactical model is not a bad idea at all.
I would think its easier for one of the aftermarket companies to make a cover for the tactical model, they seem to be looking for a need and that would be something I would be interested in especially if it looked like an OEM part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Standard with optic.

I have the answers.

I just got mine and have been messing around with it.

The rail is indeed a Picatinny rail. It is made of polymer but any 1913 mounts will fit it!!!!

The scope cover does not just pop into place, it is slid through notches and there is a release button that you have to push in order to remove it. The tactical model does not have the notches nor the push button cover release assembly. In fact there is no room for the assembly, so there is no possible way a cover will ever fit on a tactical...will never happen, at least not the fn scope cover that is stock. A third party will have to figure out some way to do it.

Between the standard and the tactical model, the standard is by far superior in every way.

The fact that I can put any optic on the rail, use the standard optic, have the cover on or off...plus the front sling mount....all is better in my opinion.

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. It seems the height of the optic would be an issue.

I was so-so on the Tactical model, but the Standard is calling my name. My PS90 might need a bullpup friend. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Standard with optic.

Any chance you can put another optic under the hood? Red dot(Aimpoint) or magnified(Trijicon, CQ/T)?
A cqt may be possible but you may have to have risers for it...of course it may not fit at all under the cover, but the beauty is, you can take the cover off and remove the standard optic, then stick whatever you want on there and you are good to go.

You may not be able to replace the hood with other items, and you may also need some risers for an eotech or aimpoint, but you can put them on and that is half the battle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Standard with optic.

elcid11 said:
Any chance you can put another optic under the hood? Red dot(Aimpoint) or magnified(Trijicon, CQ/T)?
A cqt may be possible but you may have to have risers for it...of course it may not fit at all under the cover, but the beauty is, you can take the cover off and remove the standard optic, then stick whatever you want on there and you are good to go.

You may not be able to replace the hood with other items, and you may also need some risers for an eotech or aimpoint, but you can put them on and that is half the battle.
I'd like to keep the hood, but put a Aimpoint, Trijicon Accupoint, or maybe the CQ/T. Anyone wanna measure the clearances needed for the mount/riser. I'm thinking these mounts might work:

CQ/T: http://armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=70
Aimpoint: http://armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=23
30mm Scope Mount: http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/30mm/SPO-MK3-CSM

Looking at the pictures of the hood, it seems that FN is using flush head hex screws to hold it to the rail. All the risers I've seen all use large knobs or throw levers. So maybe the bigger issue is attach screw/lever clearances.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Different Barrels, too

I'm a bit conflustered:

The Standard is the model with the sling swivel and accepts the hood, and
the Tactical is the model with non-moving sling mount, and typically has the front sight post attached? Is this right?

Geesh, up until a bit ago, I didn't even realize there were two different models.

Are there any other differences between the two?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: Different Barrels, too

QB 45 said:
I'm a bit conflustered:

the Tactical is the model with non-moving sling mount, and typically has the front sight post attached? Is this right?

Geesh, up until a bit ago, I didn't even realize there were two different models.

Other than the differences you noted, the rails are different. The STANDARD rail is mounted lower, and is polymer, while the TACTICAL has a true 1913 rail that is mounted higher.

Standard=factory optic model
Tactical=railed model

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Different Barrels, too

]I'm a bit conflustered:

Other than the differences you noted, the rails are different. The STANDARD rail is mounted lower, and is polymer, while the TACTICAL has a true 1913 rail that is mounted higher.

Standard=factory optic model
Tactical=railed model
The Tactical does have a front sight and a rear flip up sight. While not great they are serviceable.

No other differences that I have noticed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow, thanks. I'm not used to people answering questions so readily. Awesome!

Anyway, I like the Tactical model a little better. The front end looks a little cleaner, and the front sight is a nice touch, even if it isn't used. It just makes me want to aim at something. The sling swivel on the Standard seems so awkward.... I wouldn't use it.

That Standard scope looks nice, but I'd prefer other optics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, thanks. I'm not used to people answering questions so readily. Awesome!

Anyway, I like the Tactical model a little better. The front end looks a little cleaner, and the front sight is a nice touch, even if it isn't used. It just makes me want to aim at something. The sling swivel on the Standard seems so awkward.... I wouldn't use it.

That Standard scope looks nice, but I'd prefer other optics.
All I can say is try it before you decide...I tried both first and hands down the standard is the better of the two....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts