FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with my FNX today and took the slide off. While it was off I was getting used to the DA trigger pull. When I was finished playing I went to put the slide back on and it would not go. Upon inspection, the pin right above the safety (Stainless in color) had walked out to the left, preventing the slide from going on. This isn't a big problem as I don't shoot with the slide off obviously, but was wondering if it could walk out and cause a jam?...
I used a punch to slide it back in...only take a little pressure.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The slide should keep it from walking out. Did you feel the pin kind of latch with anything? On my FNP, the rear pin that holds the FCG in has notches in it where it lines up with springs that should hold it it and I could feel when it hit that point.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I read your first post right, you were pulling the trigger with the slide off the frame, which is not advised on any firearm. And on the second picture, it looks like the pin has walked out enough to cause the right side of the sear to get loose and move forward which should be corrected before trying to put the slide back on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pin seats without a positive click or locked in feeling. Advised or not, this shouldn't happen. I could pull the trigger and reset it on my glock frame and never have anything like this happen...I don't like parts being able to just wiggle out of their places.

·
Registered
394 Posts
WhiskeyUnicorn said:
The pin seats without a positive click or locked in feeling. Advised or not, this shouldn't happen. I could pull the trigger and reset it on my glock frame and never have anything like this happen...I don't like parts being able to just wiggle out of their places.
Talk to FN about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
WhiskeyUnicorn, I am in agreement with you that no pin on a firearm should walk out on its own, and you should call FN to have them fix this situation that should not be happening on your pistol.

But it is not considered good practice to be pulling the trigger on any hammer-fired pistol while the slide is off the frame, which is what I understood you were doing from the first post. It is known to cause damage on the frame since the hammer is supposed to be hitting the firing pin and the back of the slide under normal operation. If you take the slide off, all of the force that the mainspring is putting on the hammer will be transferred to the frame instead of the slide, and bad things will happen to the frame when the hammer impacts it.

On a striker-fired pistol like a Glock, it wouldn't matter since there is no impact on the frame because only the trigger bar would move with a trigger pull.

Also, I don't have an FNX anymore to check on this myself, but if the hammer is impacting the sear when dry-firing with the slide off of the frame, that is probably the reason why the sear pin walked out, and if the pin slides in the hole with no resistance, then the hole has probably gotten elongated from the hammer hitting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably send it off to FNH sometime this year. The slide keeps the pin contained while in operation I believe. It hasn't caused any problems thus far. I'll have to put quite a few more rounds through it to see if the FNX is worth keeping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts