FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got my second 17 (First FDE, this one Black) and got geisley trigger installed and bg 17 grip with other odds and ends. I wanted it ready to go shoot tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Flat surface down.

Load spread over a larger area...

-SS
What makes this scenario different than most nut and bolt scenarios? 99% of the time , the tapered side goes down first to facilitate easy threading onto bolt. I don't think it matters either way honestly but it just makes it easier screwing down nut in tight places

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes this scenario different than most nut and bolt scenarios? 99% of the time , the tapered side goes down first to facilitate easy threading onto bolt. I don't think it matters either way honestly but it just makes it easier screwing down nut in tight places
This is not good. I got one up and one down input. Well, I got two 17's and both have tapered side up. Nothing broke yet. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sarge has more knowledge on the scar platform than me but in this particular situation I don't see why the rule of norm with nuts/bolts differs

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not at all
Help me out you guys. How did it come from the factory. Please forgive me, it's new years night and I didn't notice which way the nut came out when I removed the original grip. Don't respond 'till I get another scotch. :?:

·
Registered
757 Posts
When I installed my geisselle (thx Sarge) the but fell out before I had a chance to note its orientation. But I believe I put the flat side down-the logic being that the polymer being the weaker material- you want to spread that compression out a little bit-creating a higher pressure point risks snapping it, which would be bad. Make sure your using the shorter hex bolt provided an that your lock washer is in there. And don't crank down on it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Sarge has more knowledge on the scar platform than me but in this particular situation I don't see why the rule of norm with nuts/bolts differs
Think, flange nut. We install it with the flange, or flat side toward the bolt's thread form not the other way. The lead into the thread form has a chamfer on both sides by design but the flat side is toward the mating surface to distribute load over a larger area, or "footprint".

-SS

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just put the dang nut in there and tighten the grip screw. YOU WILL HAVE NO ISSUES EITHER WAY ONCE IT IS FASTENED.

Crimeny. 2 Pages of this?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Think, flange nut. We install it with the flange, or flat side toward the bolt's thread form not the other way. The lead into the thread form has a chamfer on both sides by design but the flat side is toward the mating surface to distribute load over a larger area, or "footprint".

-SS
Not that Sarge's advice needs confirmation but he is correct.

I had this problem of forgetting the orientation when I replaced my grip. Then when I went to do it on the other Scar I realized I did it backwards. I always have to remind myself how things go together as I take them apart. All too often I am just full of piss and vinegar when I dig into a project and all of a sudden, "oh shiz, how did that go together?"

Simply said, flat side down facing the grip screw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts