FN Herstal Firearms banner

When you use a pistol mag pouch on your belt, how do you orientate the magazines?

• bullets pointing to your rear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • front one to the front, next one to the rear

• Doesn't matter to me

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most common mistakes I see with new pistol shooters is how they orientate their magazines in their waist belt mag pouch. Either the bullets face the front, or they can face the rear. To me, this is really a no brainer, but I still have people try to explain why they prefer the other way. Then, I explain to them WHY it is better, emphasizing the tactical considerations.

So, how do you orientate your pistol mags and why?

·
Vendor
5,591 Posts
If I wear the mag pouch on my left side then the bullets are pointing to the rear. If the mags are on my right side they are pointing to the front. This way when I pull the mag out the bullets are facing away from me and can be slamed into the pistol. I don't have to think about it. :-x

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am right handed. I reload with my left hand, so I have the bullets pointing to my right. When I take the mag out, the bullets are pointed away from me, ready to slide into the magwell.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zebra, so that is a forward orientation. Make sure you vote please.

While the mags may face a bit to the left and right, I don't want to make it too complex. I am not so interested where on the belt, but rather the facing of the bullets.

Oh, and if any of my fellow Texans are still confused- does the mag point to your pecker or your pooper? :oops:

Answers are interesting to say the least. You can still vole in the poll and not post a comment...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine face my pecker. In withdrawling the magazine from the carrier (I use my left hand) my index finger rides along the front of the magazine and I am able to guide it right to the magazine well on the pistol. This may seem like an awkward move but this technique allows me to recharge the pistol by feel alone. Just my two cents. :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
msw362 said:
Mine face my pecker. In withdrawling the magazine from the carrier (I use my left hand) my index finger rides along the front of the magazine and I am able to guide it right to the magazine well on the pistol. This may seem like an awkward move but this technique allows me to recharge the pistol by feel alone. Just my two cents. :cool:
This is the correct way to do it. Also bend that finger on the front of the magazine. There should be an arc in your finger. If you lay it flat on the mag then slam your finger into the bottom of the gun hard enough. Well you just broke your finger.

Bullets forward, pointer finger on front of mag.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Guess i'm the only guy who says it doesn't matter :-?

Usually, I don't carry an extra mag, although I am trying to do it more. When I do have one, though, it is usually in my cargo pant pocket, in a nylon holder. I don't typically carry my P99c on my waist lately, and I don't usually keep the mag there either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine face my pecker. In withdrawling the magazine from the carrier (I use my left hand) my index finger rides along the front of the magazine and I am able to guide it right to the magazine well on the pistol. This may seem like an awkward move but this technique allows me to recharge the pistol by feel alone. Just my two cents.
This is how I was taught as well. Seems to work well and is very fast w/ a bit of practice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just reviewed the video courtesy of Therm. I am no way that fast! This gut is fantastic! I should have mentioned that I have the magazine carrier orientated on the off side (left side) of my body (not in front like the IPSC shooter in the video).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All this boils down to how is the best way to load a mag in a pistol. Best does not mean lightening fast. You may be tired, hurt, confused, shell shocked, etc. It has to be natural and without thought..

You must understand that there is a difference between shooting a gun, and fighting with a gun. This is the biggest challenge I see as an instructor. If you never intend to use your pistol for nothing other than range shooting, then you don’t need to be worried about this stuff. Just do it safely. If on the other hand you want to learn to use it as a weapon, you better learn to do things properly and put the time and effort into converting it from a drill to a skill.

Like it or not, anytime you do anything with a weapon, you are training.
Your are training your body and subconscious on how you interact with it. Remember the story of the dead police officer with revolver brass in his pocket? On the police range, officers were required to immediately remove the spent casings and put it in their pockets, so not to dirty up the range! He did what he was trained to do.

It is true that for simply loading a magazine, it is not rocket science. Most people can take a mag and insert it in a gun without any problems. The real problem is, we do this is a controlled, stress free environment, such as when you load your weapon before leaving the house. You have all the time in the world, and you are in complete control of the situation. Every time you do it, you are training. Is it good training? Depends if in the future you will only have to load your weapon under such conditions. Then it is fine. But we know that is not the case. If you change the situation, induce stress or confusion, then you fall back on what you have trained.

.So, we want to optimize our movements and mindset. We know now that the best way to insert the mag is to use the first finger to point to the mag well and guide it in. We want the magazines facing to our front so we don’t have to search of the magazines leading edge. We want to grab it and go. That is why the forward mag orientation is the best way.

When I load my pistol, be it at home, at the range, or at work, it is always with the same core movements. Nothing is done casually. It is done with intention and focus.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Watched the video, nice trick shooting. It's alot different when someone is shooting back at you thou. But practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doc, I assume you are talking about the Travis Tomasie video? Yes, he is using a race gun and race gun mags and holder. It is not so much trick shooting, but sport shooting.

But, the basic core movements he is using do apply and do work in combat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well i polled bullet facing back till I actually checked and realized I carry with them facing forward! what a gilligan! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Do you mean Vertical or Horizontal for carrying the mags? With the mags vertical I carry the mags with bullets facing/pointing towards the rear. It feels better reloading that way, I've tried the other way but it doesn't feel right. Plus the way I shoot, having the mags face rear, I can reload faster for some reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts