FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost a week after winning my fns40 in an auction on gun broker, finally getting my fns 40 today from my ffl. I've shot plenty of pistols but have yet to own one, so i have a couple questions.

1. What is the recommended break in for this gun? I plan on shooting it after i pick it up today and have 200 rounds of round nose i picked up at the lgs. I'm assuming this will be enough?

2. SD Ammo- My dad swears by semi wadcutters through his glock, and before my grandpa passed he did the same (he was also an sheriff). Been reading on lead and it seems some people aren't fond. I'll be using these rounds for defense only, should i be worried?

Sorry for the long winded post. It's about 6am Tulsa time and I've been up since 4 not being able to sleep. Guess it's like a kid on Christmas me knowing this gun is coming in. Thanks

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

·
Registered
218 Posts
Keep it clean, keep it oiled, and wrack her a bunch while you watch tv. You could very well love the trigger, but if you don't, it should settle in within 500 rounds or so. As to ammo, the .40 has more pressure and blowback than the 9mm, so you shouldn't have the issues the FNS-9 guys sometimes have when running 115gr when their babies were born and bred to eat NATO issue rounds.

As to wadcutters, I can't really say up, down, left, or right. What I can say is that FNs aren't finicky eaters; most people (including myself) report that they'll eat anything you feed them (mine even had a steady diet of steel-cased Tul for a while since it's what I could get my hands on.) Always test what you plan on using for self-defense BEFORE you have to use it for self defense, but from what we've seen, they should shoot fine, so verify that and happy trails!

·
Registered
480 Posts
You will most likely not run into any problems just make sure to read the owner's manual but if you are like many people and just want to read what you need to know read the newbie's guide as it lists exact page numbers. The semiwaddcutters may give you feeding problems so if they do during the first 400-500 rounds try them again after 500 rounds and if they are still feeding improperly then the bullet is a no go. I recommmend reading the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Congrats on the FNS! Can't say about the semi-wadcutters, but whatever you choose for SD ammo, make sure you run a few boxes through the pistol, without issue, before relying on it.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Speer Gold Dots or any bonded hollow points for self defense. Not sure if you'll be able to find much SWC for 40 unless you reload. I'd honestly be a little worried about over penetration with them.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Another question.. finally got it in and just got done doing an initial clean on the gun just because. I read that most fns models came with night sights but mine did not. While reading i found that guns bound for leo got regular sights. Could that be what the le stamp means? Or is it a qc stamp? Just curious. It does have the thumb safety.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does not. Offtopic, I went to the range yesterday and this gun shot great. No fte/ftf and it's very accurate as long as I'm not shooting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts