FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the thread title indicates, is it acceptable/advisable to use FL on these parts or no? I am not referring to lubricating them only "treating" them. I have read the manual's in which it clearly states not to lubricate either in any way! I have no intention of lubricating them per se just want to know if FL is okay for treatment ONLY!? From my experience with FL it does make cleaning carbon build-up easier and would prefer easier cleaning down the road.

The "sticker" has been removed officially making her mine, I am planning on giving her, her first good Frog Slobbering this evening. :?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am of the understanding the answer to that question is a no. The manual says, no oil if I recall correctly. But this...this is FROG LUBE!

However, I am curious of the consensus opinion.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
No, run it dry, anything you use on it is just going to add to the carbon build up as it burns off.
I have taken my gas pistons and chucked them up in a cordless drill and with a little flitz, a light polished on chromed half of the piston, this has made cleaning them a whole lot easier. With them polished smooth the carbon doesn't stick very well, a small amount of carbon cutter and chucked up in the cordless drill, a little flitz on the rag and they come clean quickly.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Copy that Tal! I know Sarge uses the same method -with drill and Flitz- I was just curious. I will NOT FL my piston or block!!! Thank you very much! :?

Now to order me some Flitz...... :mrgreen:

No, run it dry, anything you use on it is just going to add to the carbon build up as it burns off.
I have taken my gas pistons and chucked them up in a cordless drill and with a little flitz, a light polished on chromed half of the piston, this has made cleaning them a whole lot easier. With them polished smooth the carbon doesn't stick very well, a small amount of carbon cutter and chucked up in the cordless drill, a little flitz on the rag and they come clean quickly.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does indeed although I cannot confirm whether the ladies love it or not! I should conduct a range study, yes?

Frog Lube has a refreshing minty smell as it burns, the ladies love it... :?

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'm with Tal on this one. Get some Flitz and polish it up.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
876 Posts
I use Smooth-Kote molybdenum disulfide powder in liquid form or my new favorite FireClean. Smooth-Kote is a dry film and FireClean is a i don't know how to explain liquid. I love Frog Lube but it's like a wax. I also love that it smells like root beer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am usually a big proponent of following the manual. However, I have always lightly oiled my piston, rings and gas block. I just finished a 2 Day carbine course where the Scar saw 940 rds of ammo with no cleaning on the piston assembly. It had no more carbon buildup then it does without any lube. I honestly think after the first couple of rounds fired the CLP is burned off and from that point on the piston assembly is dry. The only reason I am inclined to lube the assembly is because this weapon may be in the rain for a weekend, or may even be submurged in water during a river crossing. The tail of the piston isn't chrome-lined..so I get the added protection of the CLP when exposed to water. Again, once the weapon is fired this protection is burned-off.

I would always recommend any owner follow the FN Manual
In this instance I dont think it matters one way or the other.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used FIREclean on mine and its spot clean and really it has no residue left over....I tested fire clean with some burned on carbon on the muzzle end...soaked over night...went to the range...cleaned its self :).

I used it on the gas block and its very clean...no carbon build up

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Run it dry.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
247 Posts
UPDATE on FIRECleaned Gas block. I coated the gas block inside and out with fireclean...ran about 250rds through it w/ 223 monarch and 556 m855.

With FIREclean....there was VERY minimal carbon build up on the piston (should have taken pics)...any carbon just wiped right away...almost self cleaning like :)

Only thing I can compare this to was my Sig 516 w/ regular lube...that had a carbon "ring" build up around the crown of the piston with the same amount of round count

What was really amazing is that the piston stayed "wet" vs in my Sig the frog lube and the tw25 just dried up.

No short stroking or any issues found running the gas block wet with fireclean

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Heard some bubbas at the range waxing poetic about Frog Lube and how the guys from SEAL TEAM 6 have been using it for years because of it's magical properties...

:Bubba:
That made my afternoon. :-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts