FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting a PIG plate carrier, for SHTF and planning on using some at the range. I was wondering what colors yall recommend? I was thinking either OD green or multicam? I was also thinking about just doing OD green with multicam mag pouches, etc. on it.
What are your opinions on this? What colors do you run with?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My PC and all my kit are in MultiCam. For something that I wasn't going to run around in the woods/fields with, color really wouldn't matter, but MultiCam is the best pattern for my area.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Like Alpha references, choose what best suits your environment, in most cases that would be MultiCam... YMMV

·
Registered
848 Posts
yeah to each their own. I dig the Ranger green over ODGreen. But I'd say shtf senerios, colors won't really matter as you get dirty it'll get purdy. So for pouches you'll want top shelf stuff. Washing your gear is not as important as surviving.

If I get shot washing my gear, I'd be so pissed.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Another +1 for Multicam.
Its versatile for many North American environments due to the high amount of areas that are growing with some sort of native plants and trees.

Currently, the Army uses ACU digital pattern but after a few years of field use, they found the older Multicam was a superior pattern.
The DoD is now looking back to the contractor who made Multicam to create a new camo pattern based on or derived fromMulticam due to its superior performance in camouflage.

Another pattern I would recommend if you can get it is the much older Woodlands pattern from the 90s.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Actually the new Army camo has been chosen and begins its rollout July 1st. They went with the Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) because Crye Precision was unwilling to negotiate a licensing agreement. The DoD already owned the rights to OCP which is very similar to Crye's MultiCam although it does lack the vertical elements and some of the colors have different shades. Anything is superior to the digital camo pattern originally designed for the USMC (MarPat) which has proven to be utterly useless in any environment and led to many a "friendly" being identified and targeted in the sand box. Why the DoD finds it so difficult to chose one pattern for all services is beyond me, when I served we ALL wore BDU's and they worked just fine. I won't argue that MultiCam is a superior pattern, just choose one and be done with it.

Another +1 for Multicam.

The DoD is now looking back to the contractor who made Multicam to create a new camo pattern based on or derived fromMulticam due to its superior performance in camouflage.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Actually the new Army camo has been chosen and begins its rollout July 1st. They went with the Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) because Crye Precision was unwilling to negotiate a licensing agreement. The DoD already owned the rights to OCP which is very similar to Crye's MultiCam although it does lack the vertical elements and some of the colors have different shades.
The irony being that while the Army has the right to use the older Scorpion pattern, or the newer OCP without paying Crye, everybody that actually makes the fabric for the uniforms already has contracts with Crye, and will end up paying them for the pattern anyways. One reason why the rollout of the new stuff has been so slow. The Army would have been better off just paying Crye the reasonable price for the right to use MultiCam, rather than offer to buy the pattern for relative pittance (since, you know, that would destroy Crye's income from the licensing and sales of MultiCam). Nobody has accused the Army of making intelligent decisions recently, though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buy my Mayflower apc and haley strategic d3cr, give you a deal on it, they're almost new... Pm if youre interested

·
Registered
115 Posts
"... Nobody has accused the Army of making intelligent decisions recently, though..."
Amen.

If the services were really smart, they'd contract for plate carrier material in ranger green, olive drab, coyote, tan, nutria brown, smoke, and whatever other colors they could come up with. Then dump all the various colored panels of the same pattern in a box and the sewers would reach in for a random color. Boom, automatic camouflage that goes with any pattern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts