FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a PS90 pretty much on impulse last month and have been wading through info (good and bad) on it ever since. I'm sure each and every one of these topics have been brought up here at least twice, but bear with me (I'm a FN noob :( )and help me seperate fantasy from reality.

1. Civilian legal 5.7X29 ammo is severely underpowered when compared to LE/Military rounds?

2. Black stock PS90's are much rarer than olive stocks and worth more?

3. Apart from the NFA paperwork, a mod to short barrel is quick and easy without the necessity for special tools?

4. You have to remove the barrel shroud to put on a front sling attachment point?

5. PS90's are insanely cool? (JK, I already know the answer to that :shock: )

I was also surprised when I saw the trigger group was made almost completely out of plastic, even down to the hammer :evil: Has that caused any problems?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
chango said:
So, I bought a PS90 pretty much on impulse last month and have been wading through info (good and bad) on it ever since. I'm sure each and every one of these topics have been brought up here at least twice, but bear with me (I'm a FN noob :( )and help me seperate fantasy from reality.

1. Civilian legal 5.7X29 ammo is severely underpowered when compared to LE/Military rounds?

3. Apart from the NFA paperwork, a mod to short barrel is quick and easy without the necessity for special tools?

4. You have to remove the barrel shroud to put on a front sling attachment point?

I was also surprised when I saw the trigger group was made almost completely out of plastic, even down to the hammer :evil: Has that caused any problems?

Thanks!
First - be sure to read the PS90 FAQ here:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4286

As for 1 - they are not that much underpowered - Read the tests by members here in the special 5.7x28mm subforum.

2 - The black PS90s were harder to find in 2006. In fact, I had to pay $100 more for the black one at the time (Dec 2006). However - now I rarely see new green ones. So no - they are not limited any longer.

3 - I haven't short barrelled it myself - but you do need some special tools.

4. There are some older PS90/P90 sling designs that use an attachment and clip in the barrel. I would recommend the Urban ERT 2 point sling - his front point connetcs to the receiver. I have this sling and it is great. He is a sponsor here.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
chango said:
All 5.7x28mm ammo is legal. Many are just restricted in sale by the BATF. But civilians can buy it(second hand) and own it(given your State laws don't ban it), it will just cost you $$$$.
But the easily available factory ammo for civilians still has good knock down power and kevlar penatration.

chango said:
No. The first year that the Black PS90s came out, they were more due to limited availability; but now, there are just as many if not more Black PS90s available than green.

chango said:
Since I don't have an SBR, I can't really answer this one.

chango said:
NO

chango said:
YES :?

chango said:
NO problems with close to 10K rounds on mine :?
Just remember to velcro the inside of the ejection port to protect the plastic trigger pack from damage.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes - I also forgot to address the hammer pack. The PS90 and FS2000 has a polymer hammer pack - no one has reported any issues with this - so do not worry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! I just started exploring the forum this morning and am finding huge amounts of info! Me like! :?

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
For clarification. BATFE DOES NOT RESTRICT any of the 5.7X28 ammo.

Restrictions on the SS190, SS193, SS198 are by FNH and not BATFE.

Some state laws restrict some ammo depending of whether is meets the classification of an AP round or not.

For example, in Florida the SS190 WOULD BE considered an AP round by definition EXCEPT that if FAILS the second requirement (there are three) stating that the bullet must have a TRUNCATED CONE. As such, it is not illegal to own even though it meets the two other requirements.

The law reads "this AND this AND this" instead of "this OR this OR this" meaning that all THREE requirements have to be meet and not just any single requirement.

State laws vary any you must know you state laws concerning firearms and ammunition.

As far as the SBR is concerned, depending on how you go you may need special tools (there are two - basically a 19mm wrench that has to be grinded down to fit the slot on the barrel, and another (I think 17mm) for the flash hinder. One has to be a crows foot so that you can torque the flash hinder to 35 ft-lbs.

In my setup, I opted for a 1/2X28 TPI threaded adaptor so that I can use one of my cans on the PS90 SBR. I needed to get two nuts so that I could thread them on the adaptor so that I could use a deep well socket and a shaved down 19mm wrench to torque the adaptor to the barrel.

There are a gazillion ways to SBR the rifle barrel and the flash adaptor that you choose will determine the complexity of the attachment process.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
For clarification. BATFE DOES NOT RESTRICT any of the 5.7X28 ammo.

Restrictions on the SS190, SS193, SS198 are by FNH and not BATFE.
I didn't say they restrict ownership of it, just the initial sale of it; hence I said, " restricted in sale by the BATF." As in, an individual can't make the initial purchase from FNH. IIRC, its still controlled by the BATF at the port.
Which is why its drop shiped to your agency. Am I incorrect?
But if you look, I did state that it can be bought "second hand." IE, someone can legally get it and then you can legally buy it from them but you can't legally buy it straight from FNH.

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
BATFE DOES NOT restrict sale of any FNH ammunition in the USofA.

FNH is the one that restricts some of their ammunition for sale to LEO/Military only.

Some States restrict ownership of certain rounds.

BATFE has no part in this. It is solely FNH and the State laws.

·
Registered
95 Posts
to install and SBR barrel you have to modify a 15mm open end wrench, access to a milling machine of a drill press with a vice, and a barrel vice. uninstalling the long barrel is the hard part..put the SBR on is cake.

quick and easy? depends on your skill level. carefulness and patience is definity needed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
regarding the trigger pack, this gun has been used in service for quiet a while now, and I have never heard of an problems with the trigger pack, other than the need to clean it from time to time. And that can be done with a can of compressed air and a damp washcloth. Also, mechanically, it is a pretty simple blow back design.

And yes, they are way cool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts