FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I need help in deciding which PS90 to get and would appreciate any help you guys could give me. I am suprised that FN does not make a USG sight for the Tri rail. Looking at the two different versions it seems like the tri rail is closer to the barrel(lower bore axis?) than if you would put a rail on the PS90 that had a factory standard sight. It seems like mounting an after market sight would be better off on the tri rail being it would be a bit closer to the barrel, there for having better check weld etc....
I been trying to search opinions and it seems people go back and forth. So I don't know which would do better justice. I do not plan on putting a magnified optic on, at least not one that has more than maybe 1 or 2x. I have never owned a red dot sight, and can't imagine wanting/having one that has a dot larger than 1 moa, I would like to be able to shoot precisely up to 150-200yds. I have never handled a PS90 so I don't know how the current USG sight would rate. Sorry for the long winded post and the rambling, I'm tired and to go to work soon. Which do you guys feel is better and why??
Thank You Very much guys

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Be sure to read the PS90 FAQ here:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4286

I also prefer the standard version over the Tri-rail. An add on optic rail is very cheap - and then U can still add any optic you want. You also get backup sights, and you can put on longer side rails if you want.

The Trirail has no sights - the difference in lowness is academic. Also, the side rails are shorter.

You could always return the stock optic if you HAD to - or if you needed your own aftermarket optic back. The gun is still usable. On a trirail - it isn't usable at all without an optic (as it comes with none)

·
Banned
328 Posts
If you are concerned about MOA you don't need a reflex sight. They are more suited for rapid acquisition at short ranges not long range precision.

I would get the USG (it's what I have).

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
tri-rail for me. Gotta have the option to put on whatever I want..... especially when the latest and greatest thing comes out. That auto-aim GPS techno-graphic optic that will work with the new heat seaking round will attach so easy to the tri=rail.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My suggestion is you get the USG. My second suggestion is if you want to be able to shoot precisely up to 150-200yds, perhaps the ps90 is not what your looking for. Not that the PS90 can't reach that far but it was not designed for long range shooting. It was and is a PDW. Rapid acquisition out to 100 yards with multipal target, the PS90 is in a league of its own. Its overall short length makes it perfect for confined spaces.

If you do chose to buy one and shoot a distances of 200 yards I suggest you use SS195LF ammo.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys, Yeah as far as for shooting 200+yds I do have plenty of other rifles to fulfill this roll. My main concern is how I here some guys say the USG is not very clear and does not have a very good field of view, can you guys confirm or deny this. Thank You again guys, I am one step closer to my decision.

·
Vendor
5,706 Posts
I have both tri-rail and the White Ring sight. I like the Ring Sight but it does have a small FOV. It was designed to be used with BOTH eyes open. That way you have a very fast target accuisition of target.

If you are looking to shhot beyond 100 yards I'd go with the Tr-Rail so you can put an optic on it that will help you hit those targets. Again.... the PS90 is for Close Quarters Combat. :?

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
2nd2none said:
Thank you guys, Yeah as far as for shooting 200+yds I do have plenty of other rifles to fulfill this roll. My main concern is how I here some guys say the USG is not very clear and does not have a very good field of view, can you guys confirm or deny this. Thank You again guys, I am one step closer to my decision.
This was my main concern with the USG. Nothing I hate worse than being cut off with tunnel vision. The Tri-rail with my red dot gives me full field of view unlike any other weapon I own, and much better than my PISTOL even does.

The USG does sit a little lower to the barrel though...which can be good and bad.

[I can't seem to find the link to the picture I did to show this]

For me, total unimpeded options of the tri-rail was right for me. No interest in an integrated sight. It just felt so..... optionless..... Sure, adding a rail works, but is it adisable to marry a girl you want to make such a sinificant modificaiton to on the first date? That is how I see it.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Here it is. This shows the sight seating comparing the two platforms.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I bought a TriRail because I knew I wanted to put an optic on it and not having to purchase a rail was nice. Plus, I got a free C-More (available as a rebate until the end of September) which is what I'm using right now. I ordered the extended side rail since I thought I needed it for my X200 light but actually the light fits on the side rail that is already on the TriRail so I don't even have the extended rails installed on the gun. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the way the PS90 shoots, but I also liked the "looks" of the TriRail better.......but that's just me.

Good luck in your decision. Whatever model you buy, you're gonna LOVE shooting the PS90 :D

·
Banned
328 Posts

Not quite. The USG sight is not straight through. If you look at it from the front you can see that it runs through a couple of mirrors internally (similar to binoculars but vertically) so the line of sight is actually about 1/2" closer to the barrel.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
kanthek said:

Not quite. The USG sight is not straight through. If you look at it from the front you can see that it runs through a couple of mirrors internally (similar to binoculars but vertically) so the line of sight is actually about 1/2" closer to the barrel.
Can someone else confirm this? I would like to have an accurate rendering.... no sense in misleading. Perhaps someone can describe the exact "sight line" of the integrated sight.

The other thing about that photo... my own red-dot sight does not sit as high as the one shown there, so that is also somewhat inaccurate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand why FN never made one version instead of the two. They should have either made the PS90/P90 where you can switch the whole sight rails assembly or just make the tri rail version with optional USG sight for it...??? That would make things so much easier...And more sense! (IMHO)
I am leaning towards the black PS90 with USG at the moment thou I would not be able to get the mags and ammo deal... Decisions Decisions

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
2nd2none said:
I don't understand why FN never made one version instead of the two. They should have either made the PS90/P90 where you can switch the whole sight rails assembly or just make the tri rail version with optional USG sight for it...??? That would make things so much easier...And more sense! (IMHO)
I am leaning towards the black PS90 with USG at the moment thou I would not be able to get the mags and ammo deal... Decisions Decisions
Some have sent in their paper work and got the mag and ammo deal, even with the black stock model. I don't think they check their records to see if the serial number you have was made with what color stock.

I faxed my paperwork on 8/13, I have the white ring sight black stock. I spoke to FN today and they said the paper work was processed, and its up to the warehouse to ship my stuff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I currently have the tri-rail.

I wish I could have gotten the USG, but it wasn't available when I got my tr a couple years back (only the white reticle).

If I were in the position right now, I would, without a second thought, get the USG.

I even posted a classified ad on this site looking to trade, and "I" will pay for all transfer fee's. I'm still willing to go through with that deal...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I went through the same thought process and once I actually had the chance to see/use the USG sight it was a no brainer for me to go with the tri-rail, I just felt that there are way better reflex sights on the market. I understand it's entirely subjective & personal preference but when comparing it to aftermarket options the standard reflex seemed like a handicap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts