FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
First post first FN.

Last year I found a used FN 509 at a pawn shop and could not pass on the price. The gun was in clean condition without any obvious abuse so I got it. I put about 500 rounds of
Walmart White box through it and had maybe 8-9 failure to feed. When I got it home I cleaned it and started my research. I am going to put the Apex trigger in and when I started looking at the barrel I get confused as to what I have. The assembled gun looks like it does not have a standard barrel on it (it looks long but measures about correct). I cannot find a single pic of a 509 other than a tactical with a threaded barrel that appears the same. My plan will be to purchase an Apex barrel and spring if I cannot Identify this one but can anyone in the community tell me about what I have?

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Strange, has the profile of an OEM FN 509 barrel. Are there proof markings on the barrel? That might help identification...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Non-hreaded "tactical" barrel? Though, the chances of something like that making it all the way to the consumer are practically nil. There would have to be a lot of process failures between the barrel manufacturing to assembly, to quality control.

Maybe it's out of the LS? But that's a 5", so no.

What's interesting is the shoulder at the end of the barrel. Almost like extra material to allow for thread cutting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the things I would like to find are the actual FN 509 barrel dimension dwgs. I am not positive how they measure them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Non-hreaded "tactical" barrel? Though, the chances of something like that making it all the way to the consumer are practically nil. There would have to be a lot of process failures between the barrel manufacturing to assembly, to quality control.

What's interesting is the shoulder at the end of the barrel. Almost like extra material to allow for thread cutting.
I agree but have searched a bunch and can find no reference of that having been done on purpose anywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts

That shoulder is present on both my standard and threaded FN 509 barrels.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I just checked both my FN barrels they have a lowercase "u" with an underscore beneath it then a colon ( : ) and an uppercase "P" to the right of that on the bottom or locking side.

Reactions: dfog
1 - 8 of 8 Posts