FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a scar 17(fde) over the weekend. Then yesterday I went to the local gun shop and got a scope and rings. Didn't want to go with a red dot since this will be a coyote gun and wanted some range. Today I went to the range and shot. I bore sighted for 100 yards, so I shot out to 100yards. Not even on paper, so after that I just tried 25 yards. No issue, I was putting a 5 shot group less then 1/4 inch. I was VERY amazed. after the 25 yard shot group I went to the 100 yards, again. NOT on paper!! I am LOST. I did this all off of bags (forgot rest) can anyone possibly chime in? oh and at 50 yards, my scope was off even after the 25yards again. when I came home, I realized I shot with the gas regulator in the non 12 o clock position. could that be my issue or is there something more?

Specs:
scar 17
145gr fmj BT Winchester
vortex crossfire 3x9 scope
20$ rings

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is everything tight with the mounting of the scope? It's not moving around on you is it? I know I'm spending your money here, and maybe it's not related to your problem, but I'm a believer in quality optics mounts. I don't really see the point of $20 rings on a nearly $3000 rifle. Just my $0.02, though. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree a 100% with you, I have a an ior with NF rings on my long range rifle, but couldn't go all out just yet on this scar since it was a newer purchase. and yes everything feels nice and snug, hell I think if I tighten anymore seems like the rings might fold on me.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If the weapon ejected and chambered okay then gas regulator shouldn't be the issue. Sounds like you need to gradually increase the distance of the target instead of placing it in either 25yds or 100yds. Did you try it with the iron sights? Could have immediately narrow the issue down to the optics if you shot fine with the iron sights.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Where was your POI on paper in relation to "bullseye"? Size of target?

Try some warne rings and it is possible to over tighten which will effect zero.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If its shooting tight groups at closer ranges it doesn't sound like anythings loose. If you were shooting dead on at 25 yards, then it should also be on at 300 yards right? and its probably only 3-4 inches high at 100. My diagnosis is.... You need bigger paper!

·
Registered
379 Posts
you should be shooting 1.68 inch low at 25 yards for a 100 yard zero, running 150 grain ammo

with your scope 2.75 over bore, not sure how high your scope is

for instance if you zeroed at 25 yards and your scope height is 3.5 inch over bore, your bullet strike would be 8.7 inch high at 100 yards

·
Registered
379 Posts
So lets review:
1st, 25 yards make sure left and right is centered, assuming your scope is 2-3 inches high above center of bore.

aim dead center at the 25 yard target, adjust bullet strike to 2 inches low (to be safe), then try the 100 yard target

option 2; remove bolt / carrier and lower from upper, set it in a rest, adjust it so you can look down the bore at 100 yards, and see the center of the target, adjust scope so it is centered on 100 yard target (this is my method)

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you zeroed at 25 yds, you should be about 8 inches high at 100 yds

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, turns out it was just rings. upgraded with the leupold one piece, no issues now. Other then wanting a diff scope. holy SH** I cant believe the accuracy of this rifle with factory ammo. cant wait to get a load worked up and dial it in.. thanks for everyone's help on this issue!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
holy SH** I cant believe the accuracy of this rifle...
I think that's everybody's general reaction.

Good luck working up a load. If you find one that it likes, be sure and post it up in the reloading section. Mine shoots everything well, but it really shines with 168/175 gr SMKs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
well, turns out it was just rings. upgraded with the leupold one piece, no issues now. Other then wanting a diff scope. holy SH** I cant believe the accuracy of this rifle with factory ammo. cant wait to get a load worked up and dial it in.. thanks for everyone's help on this issue!!
Glad to hear the rings worked out for you. Congrats on your 17:? Keep us updated on your quest for accuracy!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Note:
Never serve dog turds on fine china.
Masses in this forum can support or suggest waiting a few paychecks for a good optic.

In time, with poor optics, you'd be looking at a wonderful 17s w/ a turd on top.
-be patient...

The 17s is one of the finest 7.62's of it's era.

Hold tight, and wait for a good cut of glass to serve on that 17s...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts