FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PS90 with the standard white ring sight. The dealer has given me the option to exchange this gun for a tri rail. Which is better? I sooooo want to take the gun to the range but can't until I figure out which one I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
I personally would keep the standard version, and then take the ring site off.

When I bought mine, the optic rail choices were expensive. But now. MPF Tech and Critical Dimensions (2 sponsors here) sell optic rails and side rails here on the site - they are pretty cheap too.

The side rails that come on the tri rail are very short - I'd rather have the standard version PS90 and add my own side rails and optic rail.

Then, U can still mount whatever aftermarket optic U want (I have an EOtech 511) - and if ya everw ant to take off the optic, U could always put the ringed sight back on if ya had to.

EIther way - the ringed sight isn't very good and ya probably want to replace it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also went with the standard. I wanted full side rails. A TROS mount for a CompM3 sets a little lower than a Tri-rail mount. This is for my job and I want iron sights as a backup for the CompM3. The Tri-rail is missing iron sights. I want a low tech sight system whenever I have powered optics in the event there is a failure with the optics. That is my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
check the thread: PS90 TR sight heights for a very similar discussion.

Me? My vote is the TR for the optics flexability and lowest sight height (which is already pretty high relative to an AR)

ETA: If I were to get a second PS90, I would consider SBRing a ring sight and get the Aimpoint TROS mount and use an M3..... but then again, I could mount up an Aimpont Micro on my SBR TR and only be out $600.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
My vote is the standard Ring Sight because you can always mount a top rail in place of of the Ring Sight but you can not put a Ring Sight on a PS90TR.
As for the sight height, IMO the PS90TR rail high is high already so its not going to make all that much of a difference.

Point is:
With the PS90 Ring Sight version, you can mount ANY optics you want.
With the PS90TR you can mount any optics you want EXCEPT a Ring Sight.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The one nice thing about the standard PS90 is that it comes with back-up sights on each side of the optic. The PS90TR doesn't have back-up sights at all. Should something go wrong with your optics, such as dead batteries, you can use the back-up sights on the PS90. On the PS90TR, you're out of luck, period.

On my PS90, I went with the FN factory USG rail, which comes with back-up sights. The back-up sights consist of an adjustable front post and rear peephole.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Or there is the other option.......................... be like me and buy five of them, matter of fact we are going to look at another one that a guy shot and didn't like? WTF? I know some people are just silly ! Even if he has shot it a bit, I will probably be buying it any way as he is letting me trade him my remington folder 12 gauge and 450 for the gun and 6 mags, ya I know he is getting the short end. But, hay if he doesn't want it I will gladly take it off his hands !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input. I feel 110% better about purchasing the standard PS90.

The_Real_McCoy, you stated that you purchased the standard PS90 and that you added the FN factory USG rail, which comes with back-up sights. Do you have a picture of this setup and where did you order it from?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, even if you do remove the factory sight you still retain the factory built in back up sights cast into the receiver by FN at the time of the rifles production. so it is kind of pointless to spend $170 on the expensive rail when you can buy the top and extended slide rails plus a replacement floor plate for $118 from MPF ! The qaulity of his work is excellent and the rails even come with shims to adjust bullet impact point for a true zeroed rail. I bought all four products and was surprised by the quality of the product especially for the price they sell for ! Salutations to MPF for bringing us products for the PS90 that are priced decent !

·
Registered
89 Posts
TR

I have had both a standar model(white sight) and a TR and I prefer the TR. I have shot it with the white sight, a standard Compact ACOG in a MSW channel mount, a standard Compact ACOG in a TROS channel mount, and a TR with a Special Ring Compact ACOG on low mounts. I like the TR the best. The TR offers as low a mount as any rail on a standard model and the short(1 slot) plastic side rails are easily replaced with the Magazine Parts extended(3 slot) side rail made just for the TR. The side rails of the TR are also closer to the bore than those on a standard model and farther forward for easy reach.

·
Registered
142 Posts
bartcase said:
Thank you all for your input. I feel 110% better about purchasing the standard PS90.

The_Real_McCoy, you stated that you purchased the standard PS90 and that you added the FN factory USG rail, which comes with back-up sights. Do you have a picture of this setup and where did you order it from?

Thanks again.
I'll be posting pics of it in about a couple of weeks. I just Duracoated my stock in a tan/flat dark earth color, which is called Gold Coast. It looks like the tan on the AUG stocks. I want the finish to be fully cured before I put my PS90 back together.

I got the rail on GunBroker.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
The_Real_McCoy said:
I'll be posting pics of it in about a couple of weeks. I just Duracoated my stock in a tan/flat dark earth color, which is called Gold Coast. It looks like the tan on the AUG stocks.
Man yea - I REALLY want to see that.

I wish they sold them in a desert color instead of just the green and black. I may have gotten that instead of the black. I've thought about duracoating it, but I just can't bring myself to do it to a gun that costs so much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get the TR. It comes with 3 rails ready to mount your optics and side accessories.

I don't know I just hate the standard optic so much I don't think I would ever get the standard version. Whats the point of getting it if you are just going to mount a rail there anyway. Save the rail money and get the TR. Put that extra money toawrds some nice glass.

IMO the ONLY reason to get a standard version is for the longer side rails if you want that. But again you have to spend money to mount things on the side when the TR comes with the mounts ready to rock. They are small but you work with what you got. Other than that its TR all the way in my mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well if the TR model had been released at the same time as the orginal white ring version i would have spent the extra 100.00 bucks and went with the TR.

The biggest bonus of the TR it sits lower, a good .5 inch lower than the standard ring sight, saves you the trouble of modifications with aftermarket rails, including the expence of the silly sight tool.

Buy a decent Aimpoint M2 or M3 or a Tri Power with the ARMS quick release mount and your in business. :x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.